OneDrive usage, Sync, and other questions

Copper Contributor

Hi Everyone -

I am trying to implement a few things per my boss' direction and I don't know how:

1 - I have one user that I need to disable their ability to download anything to their computer. My desired endstate is that they work online only. Also, they currently have files on their computer that I don't want there anymore. This is a Mac computer (not sure if this makes a difference) that is under our BYOD.

2 - I want to turn off the personal OneDrive for all users - My desired endstate for this is that all users use Sharepoint.

I sincerely appreciate the help - I am very computer savvy but not an IT person by trade. My on-the-job training and self-research has taken me very far but I am stumped on these tasks. 

Thank you so much.

Chris

2 Replies

Hi @Chris2500,

I hope I can help you out.

1- If you are speaking of OneDrive for Business you can head over to the OneDrive for Business admin center and below syncing you can turn the sync off for all devices not part of a special domain. There you can check the box for Macs too.

2- please be aware that OneDrive for Business ist the fileshare for files sent in Teams Chats and Groupchats! I am not sure if you can disable OneDrive only, but you can set the size of personal OneDrives to a low numer or even 0 in the OneDrive Admincenter.

If you want them to work online only and turn off OneDrive the files have to be on a Sharepoint storage so that word online etc. can open them. If you are just not sure about one special user you can turn the download off in his OneDrive Client only! 

Maybe Microsofts Rights management product is something you should have a look at...

Sven

Thanks for the reply!

My question is... how do I do those things? Specifically, turn off onedrive for one (or all) users? I've dug around all of the menus and I don't see any options anywhere for that.

Thanks for the help,

Chris