OneDrive restored site scope

Copper Contributor

In one of our SPO Tenant, we had a request to restore the deleted Onedrive account of a deleted User and grand Admin permission to the account for an existing user. We restored using the commands in the below article.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/onedrive/restore-deleted-onedrive

And the request was complete.

As the original user's account is deleted, the Timer job to delete the Restored Onedrive will not start.

We would like to know how long the restored Onedrive account will remain not deleted or will be there some TimerJob in SPO to remove the Orphaned Onedrive account.

4 Replies
The key unknown information missing here is , how long was this user deleted? There are many articles on here about restoring deleted users.

Once you restore the user, the OneDrive should reconnect automatically, as long as the users profile was still in a soft delete stage

As for the timerjob, it should run. I am not sure on the time for it to run but I do know some timerjobs only run once ever 7 days. I am not sure about this one but Ill look around to see what i can see

Hi David,
Thanks for the reply.

We don't want the user's profile/account to be restored, as user is not a part of the organization. We would like to know how long the Restored OneDrive Site Collection exist.
Oh, then by default,
Once a user is deleted, then the users "Onedrive" is marked for deletion. Default is 30days. So, depending on when you deleted the user, you have 30 days to get in there and get all the users data out of that users Onedrive library.

Now, you are saying, you have used PowerShell to restore that users site, and you assigned a different Site Collection Admin to that site collection. Are you want to know how long this site collection will stay there?

As you might already know, once you restore a users, the users OneDrive will restore, but you are saying that you did not restore the user, you used PowerShell to just restore the site collection.

Why dont you just restore it, then move the files out of it, put it in SharePoint or something and then you don't have to worry about that other users Restored Site Collection.
But, I would think, once you restore the site collection, and you have assigned a new site collection admin to it, then it will stay , as long as that new Site Collection Admin is active.

I just think there are easier ways to do what your trying to do. Since the only files in the users OneDrive should of been the users own Personal files, you could just move them to a new SharePoint library and not worry about the restored site collection

But yea, I think that answers your question