One drive - File retention time

Deleted
Not applicable

What is the difference between setting this in One Drive Administrative Center and setting this in retention polices in Security & Compliance - Data Governance?

What happens if I have different values there?

2 Replies
The OneDrive version just retains the OneDrive from being deleted so if a user leaves it stays around to be accessed for the specific amount of days.

The policy method keeps items from being deleted on top of that and adds a seperate document library that all the changes and deleted items go into in their OneDrive site. This method will cause problems however and don’t recommend it because sync client issues will happen, you can delete sub folders with items on them and a whole host of odd ball things happen when they are on. If it’s something you have to have you will have to work with those issues but just keep in mind you’ll run into those. It’s been too long so I can’t remember exactly the issues I just remember it wasn’t practical at the time, so I just use the OneDrive setting to keep OneDrives around on users.

If you need to keep the files around for compliance requirements, you need to use the retention policies. It's the only way to guarantee immutability of the data. Using this functionality however does require E3 or equivalent license.

The option in the OneDrive portal does not guarantee immutability, it's more of a "soft-delete" feature.