SOLVED

Office365 Groups disable messaging to members

Copper Contributor

I've started to dabble in the world of Office365 groups and MS Stream. It seems to be all working great but is there a way to disable messaging within a group to user's mailboxes or set it so that members of the group are unable to send messages but the owners are able to send messages out?

I can see the point of this but in my scenario i only want the group to view specific videos within the channel and group and not be able to message each other.

4 Replies
AFAIK theres no way to prohibit them sending mails! You csn set not to allow externals to send to the group but not internally!
You can set not to subscribe to group which means they won’t get mails to their private mailbox! This can be overridden by users themselves though..
What you also can do is hide the group from outlook via powershell

Adam
best response confirmed by Tim Hobson (Copper Contributor)
Solution

Thanks, might have to look at hiding the group from Outlook via powershell.

I guess if this feature is required, something needs to be put on UserVoice.

I think it might be this command that i have to run:

Set-UnifiedGroup -Identity Team1 -HiddenFromExchangeClientsEnabled:$True

Yes! Thats the command! And dont forget the ”:” before $True :)

Please have a look at the uservoice or create a new one if you cant find anything similar to your request:

https://office365.uservoice.com/

Adam

I can confirm that the command does not show the group on the left hand panel of outlook online for new users however it's still showing for those users who were members of the group before the command was ran.

I wonder if it takes a little while for the setting to replicate to all the users in the group.

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by Tim Hobson (Copper Contributor)
Solution

Thanks, might have to look at hiding the group from Outlook via powershell.

I guess if this feature is required, something needs to be put on UserVoice.

I think it might be this command that i have to run:

Set-UnifiedGroup -Identity Team1 -HiddenFromExchangeClientsEnabled:$True

View solution in original post