Office apps crashing on launch

Brass Contributor

Today we have two Office 365 Business users who cannot launch any Office program on their computers.  We've tried numerous troubleshooting steps and the programs still will not launch.

The error we get on launch is Faulting application path C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\root\Office16\excel.exe (or word.exe, or whatever Office application it is).

In the event viewer I connected remotely as domain admin and I see this:

The description for Event ID 1000 from source Application Error cannot be found. Either the component that raises this event is not installed on your local computer or the installation is corrupted. You can install or repair the component on the local computer.

If the event originated on another computer, the display information had to be saved with the event.

The following information was included with the event:

WINWORD.EXE
5d1735d8
unknown
c0000005
d66bbf30
10d8
01d53caad4b41b26
C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\root\Office16\WINWORD.EXE
unknown
12a5acba-a89e-11e9-878a-484d7ecfd51e

The handle is invalid

We tried quick repair, online repair, complete uninstall... reinstall from the portal, none of that worked.  We also tried the registry key suggested in here: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/msoffice/forum/msoffice_officeinsider-mso_win10-msoinsider_reg/k...  that did not help either.  We also ran the command line utility to check for updates, it claims its up to date. Windows update had 17 updates available and they were all done as well.  Office still does not load.  What is interesting is they show Skype for Business was installed yesterday (7/16), so there must have been some automatic approved behind the scenes faulty update.

Its not an admin/user thing either because we tried logging into the computer as a domain admin and Office gives the same error.  The only thing left to do is reformat/reimage the computer.  But with two computers showing the same issue in different buildings, what is to say this problem won't start spreading?  Is there any other tips one can provide? I'm heading over to our other building to reimage one of the computers right now, but I still have one here that needs to be done later today.

Thanks!

1 Reply

I re-imaged the machines having the problem and then did all the Windows updates. No more issue.  I just hope whatever Microsoft pushed down does not start affecting our other fleet of PC's.