Office 365 vs Outlook.com

Copper Contributor

I have been purchasing Office 365 since day 1. I now discover Outlook.com on my browser and it looks almost the same? It has a lot of the same functions and has Word, Excel etc etc. All the same as Office 365. Except Office 365 costs about $95 year. So for individual needs, why would one not use Outlook.com for free vice pay for Office 365? Am I missing something?

Office 365

5 Replies

The online access is part of your subscription. Office 365 allows you to access your e-mails and files both online and on your computer.

The desktop apps have more features and keep working while you are offline. The browser apps are useful for quick edits or when you don't work from your own device.

And the functionality you get with Office Online is quite reduced compared with the desktop counterparts. Also the e-mail service in Office 365 is much more robust than the e-mail service in Outlook.com that is inteded for non professional purposes

So, given that I recently retired, what if I don't renew my Office 365? Is Outlook.com still available free? Thanks!

You can get a free outlook.com e-mail address, but it won't give you the Office suite (Word/Excel/etc.).

Thank you all I knew there had to be some logic somewhere!! Guess I'll continue on with Office 365 whether I need it or not. Again thanks.