Office 365 - Shared Contacts?

Copper Contributor

Why is is near impossible to simply share a handful of contacts with a couple of co-workers within the 365 environment? I've dug around so much in People, Planner, Teams, Outlook (v16.23), etc. I find it mind-boggling there isn't a quick and simple way to do this. Would be a bonus if they appeared on the Outlook mobile app too but that may be asking way too much. :grinning_face:

9 Replies

@davebeller I've never used it, but in the Microsoft 365 Admin Center under 'Users' there a company wide Contact section. Might be too wide spread for what you want though.

@Robin Nilsson That would possibly work, if I had access to it. I'm just an end-user. And I can't seem to get IT to call me back. I've been exploring Planner and the cool stuff that can be done in there (along with all of the 365 apps) and it's so odd that what seems like a basic thing is unavailable. And, in all the sites that have info on sharing contacts within Outlook, show illustrations of features in an Outlook ribbon that aren't in mine (like the Sharing tab that creates an email invite). This would be a good workaround, at least. Then, as I make updates to contacts, it'b be updated for everyone. I guess I need to really hit up IT support. :face_with_rolling_eyes:. Thank you for replying!! 

Bummer. I've never looked at contacts in Outlook - we're still On Premise. But I do see the Share Contacts you were talking about - I went to the People tab (on premise its at the bottom of the page), and then I see My Contacts - I can right click on that and share with others - it creates the email invite that others can redeem so they can see your contact list. Surprised you don't see it. I tried Outlook on a Mac and can bring up my contacts, but there I right click it to share with others.

You're right, not obvious at all. Sounds like more Google time!
Ha! Yes, Google! I really want to like 365 but they don't make it easy!

You can simply share your Contacts folder, or a subfolder. Alternatively, you can select (a set of) contact and use the Forward/Share Contacts buttons on top of the ribbon.

My ribbon doesn't have a Share button. The thing about Forward I don't like is the folks I forward them to won't get updates as I make them. I'd have to forward again. And again.

The Share button is just a fancier way of setting permissions on your Contacts folder, you can do that yourself by right clicking on it -> Properties -> Permissions.

Got it. I recall something in the past about, when doing this, we have to share the whole mailbox choosing Review, and then share specific folder. Does that sound right?

You need to grant at least FolderVisible permissions on the Root/Top of Information Store folder, yes.