SOLVED

Office 365 "The fine print" popup message - is it legitimate?

Copper Contributor

Greetings,

I have been happily using Office 365 (mostly Word) for many years, and I have never had any problems with any of the products. This morning when I loaded Word I was confronted by a pop-up message called "The fine print" asking me to accept terms of use in order to continue. I have been using Word for several years on this computer and I have never seen anything like this, I just want to confirm that this pop-up message is in fact legitimate and not some form of spyware or adware impersonating Microsoft.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated,

Glenn

Here is a screenshot of the pop-up:MSWord-TheFinePrintv2.png

122 Replies

Well, the version is the latest version for Semi-Annual Channel. So you are at least getting all the security updates. Though it says Targeted. Which was probably a setting set by that company's admin (to get updates earlier). So it seems your Office is still somehow tied into that old subscription. I guess correct way would be to uninstall Office (btw, you own subscription seems to be not ProPlus (doesn't have Skype for Business icon included)) and then install it again from your Office portal (https://portal.office.com).

I had this problem the last couple of weeks and it was annoying AF. I reached out to Microsoft support desk and they found out it was the Adobe PDF writer office plug in that was the issue. 

1. Open Word Doc
  2. Go to File > Options > Add-ins
  3. Click on the drop down box in "Manage" on the bottom and select "Com Add-Ins"
  4. Select "Go"
  5. Uncheck "Acrobat PDFMaker Office COM Addin"
  6. Click on "Ok"
  7. Exit out of Word 
  8. Reopen Word and see if the popup shows up

Hope that helps for those having this problem 

@BzByBt 

I don't have the Adobe add-in, but I still get the annoying pop-up.

That's OK though.  I just quit using Microsoft Office.  Libre Office works fine.