Office 365 Pro Plus - update via SCCM

Brass Contributor

Hello Guys,

Few months before we deployed Office 365 Pro Plus 1902 Semi-annual Channel via System Center Configuration Manager 1910 (SCCM) as Application Deployment (not update) over 300 Clients. The client's old version was Semi-Annual Channel Version 1808. Application deployment was successful and all clients were upgraded to 1902. But after this, we are trying to deploy Semi-annual next "updates" from SCCM Office 365 Client Management. But SCCM detected only about 50 Clients as "required" so could update only these 50 Clients. Other look like do not need to update.
We opened #SCCM (1910) Case in Microsoft for this problem, but they think a problem is related to #office365 problem, not SCCM.
After investing a lot of time I found that in these 50 Clients where update working successfully "ClientVersionToReport" and "VersionToReport" Values are the same in Registry Entry. I mean both value numbers were the same as Office 365 semi-annual 1902 Deployment version. But these 2 Values are different in all other clients. In some of them "VersionToReport" is missing or older, newer than "ClientVersionToReport", on the other hand, "ClientVersionToReport" missed from some clients, or "ClientVersionToReport" value is still 1808 version instead of clients are already upgrade to 1902.

rashadbakirov_0-1598365788314.png

As I understood, maybe i m wrong SCCM Office 365 Client Management detection method checking these 2 Values in Clients to add them as "required" or as "not Required" list.

My question is, could some explain why Office 365 installation behavior was different per Client? We deployed Application in one Deployment pack to all clients and clients got the same configure.xml and installation was successful for all clients. Only version differences I see in these 2 Values in Registry Entry.
How we can solve this problem? Additional I want to say if we want to update Office 365 manual from for example Outlook App it will work and got the latest semi-annual version
1808.JPG
In the photo, you can see that after Office 365 1808 Version, SCCM could not get correct info about Clients.

Best Regards

Rashad Bakirov

3 Replies

@rashadbakirov Hi, this is not that easy to understand to be honest. From my experience working with update channels (not SCCM) and the registry is that it can be quite a mess without any logic sometimes, so I wouldn't stare blindly at the registry keys. But perhaps another member know more about it.

I've have run into issues similar to what you're describing where all settings looked ok (update channels, SCCM, update available software) but some of the clients on that particular channel just wouldn't update to a newer build. It turned out to be a problem at Microsoft in the backend causing it so we had to force the update on the clients. Perhaps you can use that for your scenario as well.

Start-Process "C:\Program Files\Common Files\microsoft shared\ClickToRun\OfficeC2RClient.exe" -ArgumentList "/update user"

Hope it helps in some way.

@ChristianBergstromHi Christian, thank you very much for your reply. We are interested in solving the problem with SCCM because we are updating our Clients via Configuration Manager. We want to find why SCCM thinks only 50 Clients out of 300 need required new updates, though they are all on the same level.
One more example, the latest Microsoft 365 Apps Semi-annual Version 2002 Build is 12527.20988, and a lot of our clients are older than this version (Build 12527.20880 or older). But somehow, Configuration Manager detects only a few of them required build number 12527.20988.
We know we can update all clients manually to version 12527.20988. But our goal is to find a problem because we will continue to update our environment always via SCCM. 

we thought that problem on SCCM so we opened Microsoft Case for SCCM, but they believe it related to Office.

@rashadbakirov Hello again, I understand and it seems as if we use the same approach. I know a lot about update channels but unfortunately I don't manage Configuration Manager so cannot assist in the way I would like. I think you should continue with the Microsoft ticket for proper assistance.