Office 365 Newbie Questions

Copper Contributor

I do the IT work for many SMB's in my rural area. One of my small local government customers is adding staff and installing new computers. Currently they have a workgroup network which shares files via the network. We're adding a new Windows 10 workstation to migrate all of their user files to, and serve as the file base for upgrading the other Windows 7 pc's to Windows 10.  This will continue to be a workgroup based network. 

They have 2 users who are sharing one Windows 7 Pro PC which is using Office 2007. Another employee has a Windows 10 Home pc running Office 2010. The agency has one local ISP POP3 email address which is well known in  the area and should not be changed. 

The 2 Admin people need to be able to share the single email address and calendar.  Outlook is currently used to store important email in various folders that they create as well at a busy calendar. They also need to share all of the user Excel and Word Documents along with Pictures files that are now stored on the one Windows 7 workstation. Records Retention is mandated by state law

We are considering migrating to Office 365 to allow the various users to share email and Office documents. 

Now to my questions... 

1. Can the current Office 2007 .pst be imported to Office 365 and will that be accessible from all PC's?

2. Will Office 365 allow users on different PC's to read and write emails to the same email account?

3. If User #1 writes an email, will User #2 see it in their Sent folder? If User #2 saves an email to a new Outlook folder will User #1 be able to access it? 

4. If User #2 creates or modifies an Outlook Calendar entry, will User #1 see that change? This could easily expand to Users #3 & #4. 

5. They have about 400GB of data in user Documents and Pictures. Can these be accessed by any of the Office 365 users?

6. Can any or all of this be accomplished via the web based Office without having installed the Office applications? One of the employees works from home and would need this access. 

7. If this is possible with Office 365, how should we proceed?

Many thanks,,, Dave B

2 Replies
Hi Dave, my two cents here:
1. A PST can be imported to a MailBox in Office 365 using the Office 365 Import Service or a third party Tool. If you need to access the content of this MailBox by two users, you will have to grant permissions to it for both users. Linking with point 2., maybe you should consider to import the PST to a Shared MaillBox
2. Yes if those users have access on that MailBox.
3. Yes if both users have full access to that MailBox.
4. Yes if both users have permissions over the calendar
5. Yes, you can migrate this content to a SharePoint Online Site for instance...and you can configure this Site to be accessed by any user you need.
6. I don't see why no.
7. Yes...you should start with a small pilot that probes Office 365 covers your scenario
Thanks Juan!