Office 365 Makes Message Encryption Even Easier

MVP

Office 365 now includes out-of-the-box email encryption, which might just mean that the era of using S/MIME and PGP might be coming to a close, at least inside Office 365. The new functionality scores highly on ease of use and integration, but the lack of support in the current Outlook desktop clients means that adoption will be slow.

https://www.petri.com/office-365-encrypted-email

4 Replies

That new encrypt only option is exactly what we've been needing. That's fantastic! 

Nice article Tony. One minor point, per my understanding 'Do Not Forward' is not a template per se, but rather a collection of rights. Hence why an administrator wouldn't see 'Do Not Forward' as a template in the Azure portal - could be a source of confusion.

Hi Neil,

Couple of points. First, DNF is reported as a template by Test-IRMConfiguration.

Test-IRMConfiguration -Recipient Kim.Akers@office365itpros.com

esults : Acquiring RMS Templates ...
             - PASS: RMS Templates acquired.  Templates available: Intellectual Property, Accounting Information, Tenant - Confidential View Only, Tenant - Confidential, Encrypt, Do Not Forward.
         Verifying encryption ...
             - PASS: Encryption verified successfully.
         Verifying decryption for recipient: Kim.Akers@office365itpros.com ...
             - PASS: Decryption verified successfully.
         Verifying IRM is enabled ...
             - PASS: IRM verified successfully.

OVERALL RESULT: PASS

So, IRM considers DNF to be a template.... But more importantly, the definition of a tenant is a collection of rights assigned to one or more recipients. DNF defines a collection of rights and it applies to anyone who receives a message, so it is a template.

;)

:)

I went and had another look, and it's interesting how Microsoft states in its AIP documentation that DNF is not a template (as shown here in the 'Do Not Forward option for emails' section).  Oh well!  But I guess the 'don't go looking to customise it in the Azure portal' guidance is valid for administrators.