Office 365 licence cross charging within a business

Deleted
Not applicable

Hi all,

Not sure if this would be the correct forum ut would appreciate any advice / pointers anyone could give.

Would be interested to get an insight into how other companies are reporting / dealing with generating reports directly from O365 in relation to cross charging various parts of their businesses with the O365 licence consumption.

The business I'm in have approx 84 seperate smtp domains within the tenant. Each domain name is essentially a different part of the business and I'm looking for a slick way to come up with some reporting so each part of the business can see which licences they have which generates into a nicely formtted document showing their users / licence consumption which they are being charged for and the assosiated cost.

We're currently running a power shell script to pull all user details showing their assigned licence, then this goes into another excel sheet, but it's very manual and just thinking their must be another way to do this. 

Would be interested to see how others have tackled this scenario if applicable to them

Thanks in advance

5 Replies

If you don't like to do it with PowerShell then you need to look for a 3rd party solution. AdminDroid  & Cogmotive offer such kind of reporting.

Or you can use the new APIs/Reports, but at the end the question you need to ask is whether investing in building a custom solution is cheaper than using one of the 3rd party tools :)

You can try the below free one from Microsoft TechNet Gallery, which helps you to export various licensing reports to excel.
https://gallery.technet.microsoft.com/Office365-License-cfd9489c
You could take your PowerShell script and monger it into an azure automation runbook. Then you can schedule it to run at whatever interval you want. Update the script to write the data to an azure SQL database and then pull the data into power bi or any other reporting tool that can connect to azure SQL. I've built a few office 365 reporting solutions this was.

I would start with the O365 Adoption content Pack for Power BI and customize it as necessary, see https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Office-365-Adoption-Content-Pack-77ff780d-ab19-4553-adea-09... to get started with this tool