Office 365 Import PST - Folder structure not retained

Copper Contributor

On the last import of hundreds of PST files, I have found out that the folder structure was not retained. Can anyone confirm whether the following is working as expected?

If you specify /, items in the PST file will be imported directly in to the user's Inbox folder. 

Does it mean that whatever is in PST folder will be reflected to the imported mailbox? E.g., content from inbox... will go to inbox... if there are folders and subfolders in the inbox folder of PST file... same structure will be created in the mailbox in the cloud.

WIth the last import we did, I found out that despite using the /, import process created "Imported XXX" folder under inbox and inside the whole folder structure and content from PST file.

Thanks,

15 Replies
It will be added as a separate folder, but with the folder structure retained within!
Why are you working with hundreds of pst files?

Hi Adam, 

thanks for your reply... why so many PST files? Long story - business decision, I am just an engineer :) 

Anyway, why does it create "imported" folder at all? Isn't that the case of using and specifying the following then: If you specify /<foldername>, items in the PST file will be imported to a folder named <foldername> 

That's exactly the same then?

Thanks, 

G

I am aware of this, yes. 

Really, just needed confirmation whether it's possible to retain exactly the same folder structure without any "imported" folder?

G

You can import items to the current folder by choosing this during import, but it will end up as folders in that structure, aka a new inbox folder will be created under your current account! It will not be a separate folder in outlook though! I don't think there is any matching folders feature out of the box afaik

Hi Adam, 

thank you for this response as well! It makes perfect sense... would you be able to help me with the following question as well, please - it would be great if this is a solution to not use the PST import process...

Environment A
Exchange 2010 mailboxes

Environment B
Active Directory + Azure AD Connect Sync + Office 365 Tenant (users without mailboxes)

Is it safe if I use the Express Migration Scenario (minimal hybrid) from Exchange 2010 to Office 365 Tenant? I would not install or sync with Azure AD as users already exist in the cloud. Would that work? And O365 tenant would remain synced with Environment B.

Thanks, 

G

Yes, that's the source I was getting the info - more specifically express migration?

I would say cutover migration! Since your tenant is already sync with another AD etc..

Indeed... but the cutover migration requirement is that users do NOT exist in O365 as the cutover will create them... isn't that the case? 

Why would you not use the express?

oh sorry missed that point! No this is correct! It will fail..

I just feel like this is a hassle due to you already set up your ad and tenant with sync! You need to break this to start syncing with you exchange environment etc..then go back! 

I would suggest using a third party migration tool! most of these are quite affordable and makes this easy as pie! you choose to match your users mailboxes with the users in office 365

@Vasil Michev  Any suggestions??

Yes, I completely agree with - just looking for possible solutions for business.

The reason why I started thinking about the express (minimal hybrid) migration is that users can already be in O365 tenant. However, before you initiate migration you must disable the sync - right?

So, if I choose not to sync at all (and users are already in the cloud) wouldn't then this go through?

1. yeah, to keep it simple, you can't sync from two ADconnect  to one tenant basically!

2. I guess it would work...I've not digged deep into the entire process but I guess then you would need to match users, etc etc since these office 365 users are synced from your other AD

Afaik there isn't an option to preserve the folder structure as in your example. Your options are to import under Inbox (which is what "/" does) or under a custom folder, as detailed here: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/office365/securitycompliance/use-network-upload-to-import-pst-files...

yup, this was clarified :) do you have any input regarding migration process?