Office 365 Home DKIM Configuration

Copper Contributor

Hi,

I have an Office 365 home account and have configured a personalised email address using GoDaddy. I have configured SPF on the GoDaddy Domain that appears to work. Is it possible to setup DKIM too for my configuration? All online instructions I have seen refer to Office 365 Business accounts and in particularly using the Admin Centre to configure this, (which Office Home doesn't have access to).

Any help you can provide would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Simon

26 Replies

That's a question you should be directing at GoDaddy support, as they are providing a customized service, which differs from the "global" Office 365 instance.

Hi Vasil,

Thank you for your response however GoDaddy do provide instruction on how to configure this but I need configuration information from Microsoft to do this. I have found this for O365 Business accounts; 

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/office365/securitycompliance/use-dkim-to-validate-outbound-email

However I have not found any instructions and configuration information for O365 home. What I need is Microsoft to confirm if configuring DKIM is possible with O365 home and if so provide  the required settings to do so. Only Microsoft can provide the configuration management information as they have done for O365 Business.

Regards,

Simon

@SimonRear  open case with Microsoft O365 SUPPORT team and they should be able to help you with the DKIM Configuration

Thanks Vinod, can you please confirm how I can do this, I am an Office 365 Home subscriber, not business subscriber?

@Deleted I have the same issue, please publish the solution here after the ticket was closed. Thanks

@tiramisu  DKIM, SPF, DMARC is needed only if you own any email domains. For home subscription, i dont think you have Email Workload available. So you really cannot configure DKIM yourself. instead, you have to rely on the email service provider such as outlook.com or live.com, etc.

Email services available in Business Premium/Essential and Enterprise and Academic subsctiptions

@Deleted I use my custom domain with Office 365 Home and I receive lots fake sender E-Mails. Your statements are therefore not true.

https://support.office.com/en-us/article/get-a-personalized-email-address-in-office-365-75416a58-b225-4c02-8c07-8979403b427b

Hi Vinod, sorry to say I was not able to log a ticket. I called Microsoft but after a lengthy discussion outcome this is not possible with personalised domains. This is disappointing since it appears personal office 365 subscribers are not able to protect emails using DKIM. I hope this changes in the future.

@SimonRear 

I just recently migrated from Exchange Online to Office 365 Personal.

It is very disappointing that they only support over-priced GoDaddy as registrant.

Another disappointment is that I just find out no support for DKIM......

Microsoft, please fix that if you want more power user.

I'm having the same issue and support told me it's not possible to enable DKIM with a Home subscription.

I created a suggestion on UserVoice. Please vote for this feature here:

https://office365.uservoice.com/forums/273493-office-365-admin/suggestions/38177803-enable-dkim-for-...

@spalfy and @SimonRear 

Guys ... the suggestion/request at uservoice.com is exactly what I am looking for:

Enable DKIM for Office 365 Home with custom email domain
https://office365.uservoice.com/forums/273493-office-365-admin/suggestions/38177803-enable-dkim-for-...

Therefore I have reached out to my IT colleagues by asking them to donate votes, in order for Microsoft to take this necessary DKIM security measure for custom domain into consideration.

At this moment the number of votes has already grown from 30 to 177 in 2 days ;) ... and still growing 

Keeping my fingers crossed ... and hoping it will get enough votes over time ... just like enabling the custom domain for Office 365 Home subscribers

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

For extra exposure purposes I have created the same article in the Office 365 Security & Compliance section.
Office 365 Security & Compliance

https://office365.uservoice.com/forums/289138-office-365-security-compliance/suggestions/39114040-en...

I have opened 2 cases ..

1. outlook.com help function ...
    They could not help me and suggested to raise a ticket at the Microsoft Support Team
  2. a ticket Microsoft Support Team, gave different challenges ... which category .. ended up at the category outlook/office ... This resulted that they could not help me.

However they (Microsoft Support Team) suggested the uservoice.com suggestion below for adding DKIM support:

The Office 365 Home subscription allows you to use your your own email domain. However, there is no option to enable DKIM and without it, outgoing email often ends up in the recipient's Spam folder, making the custom email domain capability useless.

Please expose the DKIM setting on the UI for O365 Home subscribers.
    The feature itself is already implemented and available in the Business edition, but requires the Admin panel which does not exist in Office 365 Home.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

For extra exposure purposes I have created the same article in the Office 365 Security & Compliance section.
Office 365 Security & Compliance

https://office365.uservoice.com/forums/289138-office-365-security-compliance/suggestions/39114040-en...

@EdwinVanEttenThanks! Let's hope this gets some momentum.

@EdwinVanEtten 

Microsoft says they are moving away from UserVoice for feedback and says to use other forums like techcommunity.  So, I just wanted to see if there are any updates on this topic.  I would like to migrate my family email to O365 Family and Outlook.com and use my custom domain, but I'm afraid email from us will be rejected with out DKIM signatures.  Does anyone know if there are plans to implement this in the future?

I got custom domain and did some testing with O365 Home. The emails were sent from:
1. My domain to another account on my domain - got into spam (!!!).
2. My domain to Google mail - ok.
3. My domain to work email - got into spam.
4. My domain to mail.ru - got into spam.
It seems that O365 Home with a custom email domain without DKIM is very unusable at this moment.

@wingnut7 

There is/are no response(s) by Microsoft to the uservoice request links mentioned in my response.

Both links are dead ... as these parts of uservoice have been decomissioned.

The only (non) office365 uservoice link which is still active .. is in the outlook.com section ... which I created overtime in parallel

Below the subject and link which can (still) use some votes ...
(for as long as it is alive :sad:

==========================================================

Enable DKIM for Office 365 Home / Microsoft 365 Family mailboxes with a personalized email address

https://outlook.uservoice.com/forums/601444-the-new-outlook-com/suggestions/40552735-enable-dkim-for...

The Office 365 Home / Microsoft 365 Family subscription has a premium option which allows you to use your own email domain.
However, there is no option to enable the DKIM security measure in the premium interface for your own personalized email addresses / own email domain.
Without DKIM, outgoing email often ends up in the recipient's Spam folder, because the mail is not signed and authenticity can not be verified.

Can you enable the option to enable/configure DKIM in the outlook.com UI for Office 365 Home / Microsoft 365 Family subscribers?
(just like you enabled the personalized email addresses in the past with your partner GoDaddy)

At this moment DKIM is enabled as a security & brand protection measure for the default Microsoft domains outlook.com/hotmail.com/live.com.
The same functionality should become available for the personalized email domains hosted on the outlook.com infrastructure/platform.
Also, because the feature itself is already implemented and available in the Business edition, but requires the Admin panel which does not exist in the outlook.com UI.

Has anyone ever gotten through to a Microsoft employee "in the know" of this, so we can find a solution?

@Fedder Skovgaard 

Unfortunately Microsoft has discontinued de uservoice initiative.
Therefor all votes on @SimonRearhis request in the Office365 section and my other requests in the Security and Outlook.com section got lost, which is a real shame!

All forms of feedback can now only be done through "Feedback Hub".
Therefore I have (re-)created the (same) issue as a request in de Feedback Hub

Enable DKIM for Office 365 Home / Microsoft 365 Family mailboxes with a personalized email address

https://aka.ms/AAdy7ig

It can really use all the upvotes it can get.

So to answer your question ...

No solution from Microsoft .. not even an initial acknowledgement :-S

@EdwinVanEtten Well this is just wonderful and typical for Microsoft. You pay a subscription for premium features but the development is non existent and everything that goes into even mildly into "advanced user" territory will probably never make it into the product...not that you would get any word from any developer on this anyway, no matter how many upvotes your feedback gets. It goes straight to the trash bin usually. Sad but this is Microsoft, non-business customers are like 4th class customers.

How nice to be able to use your own domain for Outlook.com only for all the mails to land in the spam folder because it doesn't support some insanely basic authentication features and there's no word on this at all. Nice.