SOLVED

Office 365 \ Exchange 2010 Hybrid upgrade

Copper Contributor

Hi all,

We currently have a Office 365 \ Exchange 2010 SP3 hybrid system setup. All mailboxes have been migrated to Office 365. I'd like to create a new server and install Exchange 2016 which would then be the hybrid Exchange server connected to the tenant and I'd then like to retire the old Exchange 2010 server.

Question - Is there any major benefit of doing this? Will it give me any extra functionality just being a hybrid server? Extended support on Exchange 2010 runs out Jan 2020 so I've still got time on my side.

Also, can you get a free product key for Exchange 2016 when using for hybrid purposes? I know you can get an  Exchange 2013 license but would prefer a 2016.

7 Replies
best response confirmed by Adam Fowler (Iron Contributor)
Solution

Hi Matt,

You can migrate your Exchange server to 2016.

The major benefit is have a supported and recent version of Exchange and Hybrid Configuration.

You can have a Hybrid Server that have all functions that a Exchange have, but you must not have any mailbox on there, you can used to relay mail (for example from Scanners to Office 365).

You can see here to the key of Exchange Hybrid http://aka.ms/hybridkey

Totally agree here with Nuno, while it's true you are under extended support with your current Exchange Deployment, it could be better if you have full support so you just avoid any problems

Excellent! Thanks guys and appreciate the help :)

Planning to do the same here :) Thanks!

Hi Guys,

However, as per below article, we are not entitle for hybrid key if we have an existing Exchange 2010 license.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-in/help/2939261/how-to-obtain-an-exchange-hybrid-edition-product-ke...

Here is one of the condition mentioned:

• You currently do not have a licensed Exchange 2013 or Exchange 2010 SP3 server in your on-premises organization.

My worry is same after year 2020, exchange 2010 sp3 will not be supported, so what are the options?

Do we expect to hear a change at ignite 2018?

@Matt Holko 

Hi All

I am currently in the same situation where I need to upgrade my Exchange 2010 hybrid to Exchange 2016 hybrid. Just one question after installing 2016 would I need to run the hybrid config wizard on there?

@Navishkar Sadheo 

Yes, once you have installed the new Exchange 2016 server you then run the Hybrid configuration wizard again. It all configures itself and doesn't need much interaction. I was worried there'd be issues but it all worked very smoothly.

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by Adam Fowler (Iron Contributor)
Solution

Hi Matt,

You can migrate your Exchange server to 2016.

The major benefit is have a supported and recent version of Exchange and Hybrid Configuration.

You can have a Hybrid Server that have all functions that a Exchange have, but you must not have any mailbox on there, you can used to relay mail (for example from Scanners to Office 365).

You can see here to the key of Exchange Hybrid http://aka.ms/hybridkey

View solution in original post