Office 365 Email - Send emails with a different From address than the email account

Copper Contributor

I’m migrating an on-premise application to Azure and I’m using Office Email within Azure. In Dev/QA environments within Azure, the email functionality works except for one use case. We’d like to send emails with the From email address as if it’s coming from a “manager”. So that when the employee clicks the reply button, it replies to the manager’s email address that started that workflow request.

Our on-premise Exchange server allows this, so our users want to keep this functionality. FYI, we have 100+ managers and 15,000+ employees. Our application has a user setting to CC the manager on all emails sent, unfortunately not many managers choose this option because we audit all workflow requests, and the managers don’t want the extra emails (unless someone wants to respond).

I know it’s possible to create an alias 365 email, and you could use different from email address other than the 365 Office Email account, but with 100+ managers, that is too much manually setup to create alias accounts.

I've found this post:
https://weblogs.asp.net/sreejukg/send-email-using-office-365-account-and-c

I've reached out within my organization, and so far no one has been able to help me, I don't know where those settings are located, and if it's a 365 Office Email account level, which would work, or if it's at a per user level, with 100+ managers, that probably would not be an option.

If this is possible with Office 365, please let me know, of there are other email components that might work in Azure for this use case, please let me know.

Thanks for any help,

Todd

2 Replies
E-Mails alias does not allow you to make what you need here, but you can certainly configure a Mailbox (a shared one for instance) so another user can send as, send on behalf of or just access the full mailbox. In regards of you scenario where you have a big number of managers and users, you can always take advantage of the benefits PowerShell can provide you to automate common tasks