SOLVED

Office 365 data

Copper Contributor
Hello!

I understand that using o365 will leverage on Microsoft data center.

Is there any way that my organization hosted the data using on-premise server instead of using Microsoft data center? or can our organization hosted the o365 data through our own private cloud?

My organization purchase 600 o365 license and pending to be deployed

Thanks
11 Replies

Hi @FATHI AKMAL MOHD ASROH,

Office 365 is a suite of Microsoft Products and services that resides on Microsoft Datacenters.

You can view more here where the data are. https://products.office.com/en-US/where-is-your-data-located?ms.officeurl=datamaps&geo=All

Note: In the configuration of your Office 365 Tenant when you select your Country is where the data will reside in the area that your country are defined.

No is the short answer.  As Nuno explained already you can check where your Office 365 data resides and that's where the data is kept.  If there are concerns about compliance, local regulations or any other obligations make sure to check out the following resources

Now, if you have on-premise Exchange Server or another local mail system, for example, there may be options to keep some elements where they are and still make use of the cloud:

Exchange Online setup with an Exchange hybrid deployment

SharePoint Server offers hybrid options as well if you are invested already with SharePoint Server - SharePoint hybrid.

The greatest gains though for a modern workplace and making the best use of Office 365 is by migrating to Office 365 depending on the circumstances and priorities of the particular organization.

Make sure to check out Microsoft FastTrack as well, who can office assistance at no additional cost including data migration guidance and more.

Hello Cian/Nuno,

Thanks for the response.

Based on the links (https://products.office.com/EN-MY/where-is-your-data-located?ms.officeurl=datamaps&geo=AsiaPacific#A...) Since my organization resides in Malaysia, then the data will be hosted in Malaysia as well right?

Where is your data located - Google Chrome.jpg

If you go down on the page you will see what services resides on each datacenter.

Hi Nuno,

Thanks for the response. It seems only Exchange can be hosted in my country.

In that case, can i use my on-premise server for other service (Skype, Sharepoint) instead of hosted in Office 365 data centers.

Regards

Yes you can but keep in mind that Microsoft Datacenters has site resilience, disaster recovery and business continuity based on your region, and your data could be replicated to have those features.

You to have the certifications on datacenter, and all resilience, SR and BC could be very expensive just to have those on-premises.

Just keep in mind that Microsoft is contínuos expanding their infrastructure and you have best ROI using Office 365.

Great advice from Nuno, I'd personally say avoid hosting workloads unless you're invested already on-premise and there are big reasons not to migrate.  If performance is a concern, for example, I think you find it's mostly a non-issue if best practices are adopted. 

Anyway, if you are looking further at on-premise options perhaps read up on CAL Equivalent Licenses basically it means you can potentially save some money from what I gather by leveraging your Office 365 licences for certain on-premise workloads including SharePoint and Skype for Business Server - Leveraging Microsoft Online Subscriptions on-premises.

Hello Cian,

The thing is our organization has our own datacenter. Our organization plan to install the application (Skype Server, Sharepoint Server, Exchange server) through our virtual network and host the data at the datacenter.

Perhaps we can deploy a hybrid environment for each of the Microsoft product suites to achieve this.

Regards

If you go down the on-prem or hybrid route, don't underestimate the people cost in managing the infrastructure and associated applications. Even a medium sized Exchange implementation and/or SharePoint farm requires considerable effort to get installed, configured and ongoing management. Depending on the solutions you deploy, this can get complex very quickly and the associated effort/cost go up. Release of new features is also considerably slower for on-prem, especially where SharePoint is concerned. I would suggest you work with a local partner or Microsoft to workout the options with a focus on any constraints that are pushing you on-prem. Just because you have a DC doesn't always mean it's cost effective to use it.

I agree with Scott, that sounds like a big endeavour and I'd personally advise against it.  The costs could be substantial, support, implementation, maintenance etc. Let Microsoft do the heavy lifting instead and host it for you, that's the beauty of Office 365, Microsoft does the datacenter stuff so well, you can focus on things like productivity instead and realizing the benefits that the platform offers.

I don't think you have specified any reasons that would prevent moving workloads to Office 365, I guessed regulatory/compliance or performance but generally, they're not reasons not to migrate. If it's just because you have a datacenter already, believe me, you won't do a good a job as Microsoft. Have a look at some of the white papers in this collection I put together and see all the effort and process Microsoft apply to this - Office 365 Security and Compliance Kit.

Anyway, working with a Microsoft partner to explore the available options, costs, advantages/disadvantages sounds like a good way of doing this.

best response confirmed by FATHI AKMAL MOHD ASROH (Copper Contributor)
Solution

Hi there,

The answer to this is to use the on-premises versions of the Microsoft products that are available to you if you want to host this yourself in your own comms room or data centers.

Office 365 is hosted in Microsoft Data Centers in standard or dedicated environments for customers. There is some fluidity like others have stated where Hybrid models allow on-premises applications to utilise the cloud such as Exchange Hybrid, Skype for Business Hybird, SharePoint Hybrid, with ancillary support with functions such as AADConnect for directory syncronisation and hybrid Azure AD join - but there isn't the solution for what you are looking for.

By all means utilise these hybrid modes and you can even keep file server data on-premises and protected with Azure Information Protection utilising the AIP scanner, and you can even utilise Intune to protect on-premises Exchange. There's also functionality in certain Office 365 licensing where you get on-premises CALs as part of the licensing arrangements.

But to re-iterate; what you are asking in your specific scenario question isn't possible. You can't deploy Office 365 to your own hardware in your own location.

Take care,

Oliver

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by FATHI AKMAL MOHD ASROH (Copper Contributor)
Solution

Hi there,

The answer to this is to use the on-premises versions of the Microsoft products that are available to you if you want to host this yourself in your own comms room or data centers.

Office 365 is hosted in Microsoft Data Centers in standard or dedicated environments for customers. There is some fluidity like others have stated where Hybrid models allow on-premises applications to utilise the cloud such as Exchange Hybrid, Skype for Business Hybird, SharePoint Hybrid, with ancillary support with functions such as AADConnect for directory syncronisation and hybrid Azure AD join - but there isn't the solution for what you are looking for.

By all means utilise these hybrid modes and you can even keep file server data on-premises and protected with Azure Information Protection utilising the AIP scanner, and you can even utilise Intune to protect on-premises Exchange. There's also functionality in certain Office 365 licensing where you get on-premises CALs as part of the licensing arrangements.

But to re-iterate; what you are asking in your specific scenario question isn't possible. You can't deploy Office 365 to your own hardware in your own location.

Take care,

Oliver

View solution in original post