Office 365 client activation / per user or per device?

Copper Contributor

Hi,

Are Office 365 client (Business or ProPlus) activations per user or per device? I've previously thought that they're per user but I recently installed Office 365 Business to one customer and after one licensed user activated the client all other users on the same computer could use Office 365 without activation. This means that users with NO license could use it and others with the same license did not use any of their Office 365 client activations when I checked the activation count from Office 365 portal.

3 Replies

It's per user:

"Users can install Office 365 ProPlus on up to five different computers with a single Office 365 license. For example, a user can have Office 365 ProPlus installed on a computer in the office, on a laptop to use when traveling, and on a home computer. Users can also install on up to 5 tablets and 5 phones."

About Office 365 ProPlus in the enterprise

Thanks for your answer, I thought as much. I'm just a bit confused why activation is not required for other users on the same computer. Does this mean that the is product activated on per computer basis but from licensing standpoint every user must have a valid license for it?

@Henrik Hämäläinen As of Summer 2020, activation of the Office apps no longer carries over to all users on a Windows computer (it already didn't on Macs for quite some time). Each user must now activate the Office software individually. There is a "per device" license of Microsoft 365 Apps for Enterprise, but it has limited availability...
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/deployoffice/device-based-licensing