Office 365 and personal Domain

Copper Contributor

Hi All,

I currently run an old SBS2011 server and use Exchange for my e-mail. I have shut down the business and now want to set up Office 365 Home for myself, partner and kids and turn off the old SBS server. All looks good EXCEPT for e-mail. My understanding is that I would have to notify everyone that my e-mail is changed to an Outlook.com address (a not insignificant task!) and that there is no way to hold on to my *@<mydomain>.co.nz address.

Is there a way to have <mydomain>.co.nz setup to be delivered in Outlook 365 without leaving my SBS (or more specifically Exchange) turned on? I presume that will require purchasing an Exchange Online account?

I just want to get things straight in my head before proceeding

Cheers

Harry

2 Replies

That's correct, you need to have an Exchange Online if you like to use a custom domain in Office 365. It is included for example in Office 365 Business Essentials (5$/user/month) or you can buy a stand-alone Plan 1 for 4$/user/month.

The custom domain used to be a feature included in Outlook.com Premium, which was merged to Office 365 Home. However, the custom domain feature is only available for those who had the original Outlook.com Premium. 

If you only need to forward all mails sent to your original .co.nz address to your Outlook address, you might wan't to buy a hosted email service which costs around 5$/month including 5 email accounts.

ok