Office 365 and godaddy hosting

Copper Contributor

Hi everybody,

My domain name is managed by office 365 but i have hosting plan purchased at go-daddy. What i need to achieve is that my domain name point to a public website hosted at go-daddy. Can anyone help me?

Thanks,

4 Replies
See if you can create an 'A' record in your Domain settings. If it doesn't allow you, you may need to switch to GoDaddy's NS instead.

If you bought your domain name from within Office 365 and Microsoft is managing your DNS, this is going to pose a challenge.  If I remember correctly, Office 365 managed DNS only let’s you ad TXT records to your domain.  As mentioned, you need an A record pointing to a IP address for a public website.

I’m not sure if you can/how easy it is to transfer the domain name from Office 365 to a registrar like GoDaddy (I can’t imagine it’s not possible, but it may require a support ticket), but that’s what I would try to do first.  Once the domain is actually managed/hosted at GoDaddy, you have a lot more flexibility to manage DNS and make the changes necessary to host your public website elsewhere.

As a general rule of them, I recommend people not purchase their domain and host the DNS in Office 365 because it tends to be fairly limited in what you can then do with that domain name.

What is Microsoft doing here ??????

As I bought the domain for O365 there was not information about the problem here.

A support ticket at GoDaddy ??????

Since you say your domain is managed by Office 365 (i.e., Microsoft's DNS is the authoritative name server for your domain) then this is straightforward. I have this same setup myself.

1. In the Office admin center, select "Setup/Domains" from the left nav menu.
  2. Select your domain from the list that gets displayed and a fly-in window will appear.o365arecord.jpg

3. Click "New Custom Record" and create a new "A" record with a host name of "@" to point to the IP address of your web server. If you already have an "@" A record, edit it to point to your web server's IP.
  4. Click "New Custom Record" and create a new CNAME record with host name of "www" that points to your domain name. (E.g., CNAME www mydomain.com)

One propagated, you'll be able to access your GoDaddy website via either "www.mydomainname.com" or "mydomainname.com".

Bob