SOLVED

Office 2016 Save as & Microsoft Graph - The service is currently unavailable.

Brass Contributor

Hi All, 

We have appear to have an issue with installations of Office 2016 (version 1803, Build 9126.2227 Click To Run) where followed/frequent/suggested sites should be returned from the Microsoft Graph when you click on Save As and select SharePoint - TenantName, but we just get a message stating "The service is unavailable. Please try again later.".

Word Graph Error.PNG

We are able to use the Graph endpoints through Delve, see follow/frequent sites via the SharePoint Home, see those sites with mobile apps (SharePoint, OneDrive, Word etc.), but not when we attempt to use the full Office 2016 clients apps. 

Any ideas? 

Thanks,

James. 

5 Replies

I'm on the same build and it works fine here. I did run into a similar issue when trying to open a file directly from ODFB, but simply clicking one more time (toggling between the OneDrive and Sites items) seems to have fixed it.

I get the same "Service Unavailable" error via version 1803 (Build 9126.2282 Click-To-Run). attempting to save an MS-Word, MS-Excel document to SharePoint Online, OK with ODFB. This is very annoying as we are piloting global rollout of SharePoint Online showing off the integration between MS-Office 2016 desktop client with SharePoint Online but it fails.
best response confirmed by AaronCouch (Brass Contributor)
Solution

We had the same issue. The fix for us was to make sure the affected user(s) had permissions to the top level SharePoint site: https://tenant.sharepoint.com. Once permissions were set, the user was able to save to SharePoint from the application or open from SharePoint while within the application.

Agreed, we came to the same conclusion. Applying read only permissions on the root tenant site sorted this issue out.

We are facing the same issue.   We really can't add "everyone" to the root site as it is not open to all users.    Is there specific libraries we can add them to?   Or would restricted read work?   I tried adding "everyone" to style library and also master page library.  Still doesn't work.

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by AaronCouch (Brass Contributor)
Solution

We had the same issue. The fix for us was to make sure the affected user(s) had permissions to the top level SharePoint site: https://tenant.sharepoint.com. Once permissions were set, the user was able to save to SharePoint from the application or open from SharePoint while within the application.

View solution in original post