SOLVED

Not sure where we're using Office Discovery Service

Copper Contributor

Just received an email from MS telling me that Office Discovery Service is being retired and we need to make the necessary changes on our end.

I'm not sure where/how we're using this service. We do use Office 365, primarily Exchange, but that's a pretty vanilla implementation with no integration with other services. We also have VMs on Azure that act as our AD machines.

How can I find out where/how we might be using this service?

3 Replies
It’s replaced by using office graph for fetching different endpoints for mails calendars, files from onedrive etc..
If you haven’t played around with API’s and stuff like that you probably don’t have to worry
best response confirmed by Sam Uresin (Copper Contributor)
Solution

Sam,

I received this message as well as did a couple of my clients.  Personally, I don't have any custom code in my tenant, and people seemed to only receive this message if Microsoft detected something in their Office 365 environment was using it.

One thing it *could* be is a third party add-in/solution you have. Some Office or Outlook Add-in could be using this Service in the background and you have no idea.  If this is the case, you shouldn't need to worry about it as the vendor of the product should be aware of it as well and updating their code to use the Graph instead. The only thing you may have to do is just make sure any third-party products you may be using are up-to-date.

Just a thought I had when I received that message in my tenant as well and knew I didn't have any custom code I wrote in my environment that was using that service.

Thank you for your response!

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by Sam Uresin (Copper Contributor)
Solution

Sam,

I received this message as well as did a couple of my clients.  Personally, I don't have any custom code in my tenant, and people seemed to only receive this message if Microsoft detected something in their Office 365 environment was using it.

One thing it *could* be is a third party add-in/solution you have. Some Office or Outlook Add-in could be using this Service in the background and you have no idea.  If this is the case, you shouldn't need to worry about it as the vendor of the product should be aware of it as well and updating their code to use the Graph instead. The only thing you may have to do is just make sure any third-party products you may be using are up-to-date.

Just a thought I had when I received that message in my tenant as well and knew I didn't have any custom code I wrote in my environment that was using that service.

View solution in original post