New app launcher

Brass Contributor

Does someone know when to expect the new office 365 app launcher? The help pages are already updated but the launcher isn't visible yet:

https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Meet-the-Office-365-app-launcher-79f12104-6fed-442f-96a0-eb...

Also wondering if it is possible to "pre-pin" apps for users in the app launcher. 

11 Replies
AFAIK, there is no ETA defined so we have to wait until Ignite / new communications in the Message Center

@Adri Dijk, van, it's here today! https://blogs.office.com/2016/09/27/introducing-the-new-office-365-app-launcher/

Customers who have opted into First Release will see the updates later this month. Others will start to see the update in October.

The announcement states that "only customers with Exchange will be able to pin, resize and customize tiles" does this mean that the tenant needs EXO in their plan, or that a user needs an EXO license or something else?

Lana, be careful since a Today's announcement about the new App launcher means that is currently for all customers worldwide...indeed I'm not seing yet in two of my tenants configured on first release
Dean, it looks like EXO mailbox is needed, just my guess. Resizing and customizing worked for me for some while, i'm on E3 FR. Tonight IT switched off my mailbox till morning (hybrid reconfiguration, doesn't matter - i can't connect to it). Have EXO license and have no EXO mailbox - customization stopped work. Will check tomorrow if it's back.

Not possible yet for admins to control what apps are pinned by default for users, but we've seen that "administrative controls are coming". Until then, the launcher icons are determined by what products the user is licensed for. I'm also hoping that the admin controls will include the ability to pin or hide tiles for our users. 

I am one of the few first release users at my company and I just got the new App Launcher today.  

I'm sure the customizable part may be useful, but I certainly don't like the "look" of it.  The black background isn't appealing at all, and 8 of the main apps are also black - the same color as the background.  Is that supposed to happen?O365 App Launcher.PNG

Seeing it too in one of my tenants
We got lucky and have the new launcher already. I love the new look. Every single tile is gray by default. When hovering over them they show the tile color. The above screenshot is not quite how my tenant is. They are ALL grey for me until you hover. Actually looks VERY sleek.
Since this morning the new applauncher is visible in my tennant.
Actually it's not gray in one of my tenants where I have applied custom theme ;)