Need to disable forwarding for all users on Office 365 with some exceptions

Brass Contributor

Hello,

I want to disable the forwarding for all users except some.

I created the transport rule from this article:

https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/exchange/2017/12/22/the-many-ways-to-block-automatic-email-forwa...

Also, the option of 'Allow automatic forwarding' has been check-marked in the EAC.

however even if I go to my OWA, I am able to set forwarding.

Please let me know if I am missing something.

6 Replies

Hello @Test SharePoint,

Trying to disable forwarding is always a pain in the butt when you are just going through the settings. Users can forward a number of ways (through the admin portal, through owa, through their outlook, etc).

So turning one of the options off does not by any means cover you from the others.

The best way I have found to approach this problem is the following - https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/exovoice/2017/12/07/disable-automatic-forwarding-in-office-365-a...

It goes through the various ways you need to prevent forwarding. In essence you need to turn it off in Powershell, then remove the options from OWA to prevent users from doing it.

Additionally be aware, this does not cover the users local outlook.

Goodluck!
Adam

If the rule is set up correctly then it blocks client forwarded emails. The user interface to create the forwarding still exists though, but the email does not reach its end destination. What happens to the email is based on the ruke
If the rule is set up correctly then it blocks client forwarded emails. The user interface to create the forwarding still exists though, but the email does not reach its end destination. What happens to the email is based on the rule
Hi Brian,

I also followed the exact and configured the rule as what link provided by @Test SharePoint's concern, but failed to block the forwarding. It's totally not working.
How so. Exactly what is failing...

Can you put an exception for one email address from this auto forward rule?