Moving OneDrive files to SharePoint document library

Copper Contributor
Hi All,
I'm looking at moving OneDrive files to a document library in SharePoint.The OneDrive has some nested folders.I found out I can move files using the OneDrive UI but read I can only move 500mb at once.
I'm looking for other options e.g a PowerShell script will be ideal.
I also looked at the free microsoft Sharepoint migration tool but couldn't figure it out if I can use it for moving files from OneDrive( it had no OneDrive as a source)

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
8 Replies
Your options here are the following:
(1) A PowerShell script to move the files as you have said
(2) Download all your files from ODFB and migrate to SPO using the SharePoint Migration Tool. The downside of this approach is that you will lose the versions of the documents
(3) Use a third party migration tool
This question feels like Dejavu :P. Anyway, the move to command from OneDrive should support up to the maximum file size that SharePoint/OneDrive support (15GB?) so moving larger files should work just fine.

Do you have a larger folder with a few files you can just try to see what happens? Pretty sure it's implemented by now that if the file exists in OneDrive it should be movable to SharePoint Online.
Yeap, a total Dejavu ;) and agree that with a PS Script, the SharePoint Migration Tool and a third party one, you should be able to upload files up to a 15 GB maximum per file

What about just using the "Move To" button on the library? You can now move from OD to SP libraries

Also, isn't it 20GB filesize now, instead of 15GB?

Yeah filesize is big was just saying but that’s what I was recommending using the move to command since it should work and youkeep version history as well. Otherwise if you have money 3rd party handles bulk copy with version history as well. Jus depends how much content you have.

Ill just throw my support behind option 2. For internal moves like this, we found the SPO Migration tool great, pretty easy to use, and best of all free.

Thanks Ochs.
The issue I have with this issue is that I have to first download all the files before using the SPO Migration tool to move it. Is this the case as I don't see onedrive as source when tried using the tool

SMAT was developed for users to migrate files from an OnPrem File server to SharePoint online. It was not meant to migrate SharePoint online to SharePoint online. So, yea, if files exist in your OneDrive Library (SharePoint), then you would need to have them in a folder on your machine/server. This way your making it look like a file server, kinda.

P.S. Im sorry, i need to back and read , but why doesn't the "move" command work? Do you get errors even if you move 1 file at a time? Just wondering