SOLVED

Missing menu options for data loss prevention

Copper Contributor

I'm trying to enable a data loss prevention policy to block credit card number and socials.  I read this article:

https://support.office.com/en-gb/article/Overview-of-data-loss-prevention-policies-1966b2a7-d1e2-4d9...

which shows a screen shot of the menu I should see in security and compliance - I have attached a screen shot.  It includes a Policy option under data loss prevention, which is where I should be able to create a policy.  

When I am in the security and compliance section of my admin console, I see the menu in the other screen shot.  The only option under data loss prevention is device management, which doesn't help me.  Is there something I need to do to enable this functionality?

7 Replies
best response confirmed by Shannon Stoker (Copper Contributor)
Solution

Do you have an E5 license or Azure AD Premium subscription?

*(correction, should have been E3, details for functionality here) Thanks @Juan Carlos González Martín!

E5 is not required to see that option in the compliance center...might I ask what role does your user have?

I'm logged in as the admin.

I don't know, what is E3?  We just have regular office 365 for email.  Do we have to have the one that includes software?

Yeah, sorry to have to say it. You can get more information about the functions, plans and pricing here: https://products.office.com/en-us/business/compare-more-office-365-for-business-plans

You will have to find out what type of Office 365 licencing you have, there is Business and Enterprise licencing available amongst other options. Data loss prevention is only available with the Enterprise E3 or E5 licence.   Every user that comes under a DLP policy will also need E3/E5 licencing from what I gather.  I think the documentation could be clearer in this regards!

Thanks. It looks like we can't do it.
1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by Shannon Stoker (Copper Contributor)
Solution

Do you have an E5 license or Azure AD Premium subscription?

*(correction, should have been E3, details for functionality here) Thanks @Juan Carlos González Martín!

View solution in original post