SOLVED

Migrating back to office 365

Copper Contributor

Hi There

I am sitting with an interesting scenario.  We have a client that is currently sitting with about 20 office 365 business licenses.  About a year ago, they moved away from exchange online, but continued using their licenses for the office applications.  Their email is currently sitting with another hosting company and they would like to move back to exchange online, as it is included in their pricing.  The old mailboxes still exist on 365.  What would the best course of action be to migrate back to the system that they use to use?

I want to try and avoid duplicate emails as well and minimize downtime.  The majority of users currently has their email in pst format, with limited internet connectivity.  

Thank you for your assistance.

Regards

Donovan

4 Replies
best response confirmed by DonovanD (Copper Contributor)
Solution

@DonovanD If their email is in PST files, then all they need to do is create a new Outlook profile connected to their Exchange Online mailbox and include the PST files in that profile. They'll be able to send and receive email via Exchange Online and still have access to the old messages in the PSTs. 

@Tony Redmond 

Hi Tony

Thank you for the quick reply. Does that mean that I would need to change the MX record on the 365 admin console first, before I setup the second profile on outlook? Or do I need to setup each profile to run through a proxy to connect to the account(As per 365's documentation on accessing your email if you have your MX record pointing to another server).

Regards

Donovan

@DonovanD I would make sure that email is flowing smoothly into and out of Exchange Online before I switched any users across...

@Tony Redmond 

Hi Tony

Thank you for your assistance.  I am going to give that a shot.

Regards

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by DonovanD (Copper Contributor)
Solution

@DonovanD If their email is in PST files, then all they need to do is create a new Outlook profile connected to their Exchange Online mailbox and include the PST files in that profile. They'll be able to send and receive email via Exchange Online and still have access to the old messages in the PSTs. 

View solution in original post