Migrate linked mailboxes to exchange online and teams

Brass Contributor

Hello,
I have some questions for you about migrating linked mailboxes to online exchange.
The company I work for has a single forest infrastructure (I'll call forest forest A) this company I'll call company A.
In this forest there is an exchange 2016 that users access.
Now the company has bought another company that I will call company B.
Company B will have to use Company A's exchange.
So I will make a trust, between forest A and B, and create linked mailboxes.
Now I was asked to implement a full hybrid in order to use teams with exchange on premises (https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/MicrosoftTeams/exchange-teams-interact)
Will the integration between teams and exchanges work for both forests?
Is it possible to implement a full hybrid with my infrastructure?
Is it possible to migrate linked mailboxes to online exchanges?
Is it possible to implement a full hybrid with my infrastructure?
Is it possible to migrate linked mailboxes?

Thanks

regards

1 Reply

@pazzoide76 ,
Late response for sure, and I'm not an expert in Teams, but all of the Exchange pieces in what you propose can/will work.

So yes, it is possible to implement full hybrid. Key to this is setting up Azure AD Connect properly by telling to sync both forests, that users appear more than once in the organization, and where it asks how to uniquely identify a user to match "ObjectSID and msExchMasterAccountSID/msRTCSIP-OriginatorSID attributes".

It is possible to migrate linked mailboxes. Assuming Azure AD Connect was set properly a linked mailbox will appear as a MailUser object in Exchange Online. If you see that you can migrate the mailbox.

Again, not an expert in Teams, but once you have a properly synced linked mailbox user you can enable them to use Teams and it should be fine.