SOLVED

Migrate Domain and email to new tenant.

Deleted
Not applicable

Hi.

I need a easy and good solution for migrating a domain and mails to new tenant.

I have tryed to do it with SysTools , but from what i can see , it don't fix the problem with domain already taken.

I have also asked Microsoft for a solution to this case , but they say they dont have a solution for this yet.

The problem is that when the domain is registered with one tennant , there is no way to create a new tennant with the same domain. If i then create a tenant with a temp domain , i'm not able to sync mail to mailboxes with temp domain , but same name in front of the @.  I end up with doing this by configure each mail. Do an export , Configure the temp mail , then import. Then delete the domain from old tenant , takes one day before I'm able to add the domain to new tenant. Then change all mail accounts to the right domain name. Then change DNS. In this time , there are mails that entered the old tenant , that is not in the new mailbox.

Anyone found a solution\tool to do this , without to much downtime on the mail accounts ?

I don't understand why it can be so hard for MS to make a solution for this.

Greeting.

Jorgen Gjerdrum

Comtech AS

2 Replies
best response confirmed by VI_Migration (Silver Contributor)
Solution

Hi, we do it in this way normally for our customers:

• Define migration-date (day x)
  • old-tenant: old.onmicrosoft.com, new tenant: new.onmicrosoft.com, default-domain: contoso.com (set up on old.onmicrosoft.com)
  • Setup new mailboxes on new.onmicrosoft.com
  • Pre-migrate content older then 90days from old.onmicrosoft.com to new.onmicrosoft.com (by migrationwiz.com)
  • set TTL of contoso.com to 5min (day x -72h)
  • on day x, remove contoso.com from old.onmicrosoft.com (by script remove it from everywhere (mailboxes, alias, groups etc.)
  • add domain contoso.com to new.onmicrosoft.com
  • make the domain verification
  • add by script the domain to mailboxes, alias, groups etc.
  • Finalize the migration (full-migration) trough migrationwiz.com to get the rest of the content (newer tan the 90days of the past)
  • Attach security permissions of mailboxes and so on

I hope these will help.

Regards,

Matthias

Hi Matthias and thank you for your answer.

What is the reason that you use BitTitan for synkronizing , instead of just using migration option in office 365 Exchange Administration ?

Greeting Jorgen.

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by VI_Migration (Silver Contributor)
Solution

Hi, we do it in this way normally for our customers:

• Define migration-date (day x)
  • old-tenant: old.onmicrosoft.com, new tenant: new.onmicrosoft.com, default-domain: contoso.com (set up on old.onmicrosoft.com)
  • Setup new mailboxes on new.onmicrosoft.com
  • Pre-migrate content older then 90days from old.onmicrosoft.com to new.onmicrosoft.com (by migrationwiz.com)
  • set TTL of contoso.com to 5min (day x -72h)
  • on day x, remove contoso.com from old.onmicrosoft.com (by script remove it from everywhere (mailboxes, alias, groups etc.)
  • add domain contoso.com to new.onmicrosoft.com
  • make the domain verification
  • add by script the domain to mailboxes, alias, groups etc.
  • Finalize the migration (full-migration) trough migrationwiz.com to get the rest of the content (newer tan the 90days of the past)
  • Attach security permissions of mailboxes and so on

I hope these will help.

Regards,

Matthias

View solution in original post