Microsoft 365

Copper Contributor

Hi all, Today I bought Microsoft 365 and installed everything on my laptop. I want specifically to use Excel , Word, Publisher &Outlook 365 as ( Thunderbird is doing my head in ). For the last 3 hours Ive tried unsuccessfully to get Outlook to work. Ive only 2 email address, one a Yahoo one, the other being my own , through Ionos and an IMAP.

I have followed onscreen instructions to the letter and there are errors coming up with the smtp errors and password errors... SO frustrating as this sort of thing normally takes me 5 mins....any help would be appreciated...many thanks  ~ andy

5 Replies

Hi @Andy_Whitwham,

I hope you are doing well! Were you able to add either the Yahoo or the Ionos account in Microsoft Outlook?

In case you are still encountering issues, you may need to use an app password to setup the Yahoo account in Microsoft Outlook. For your reference, Can't add an Yahoo! email account to Outlook (support.microsoft.com).

Let me know in case you have further queries or concerns, and I will be happy to assist you. Have a great day!

Regards,
chlac

Hi MsCharlieLima , Many thanks for your response, Ive followed the link and pulled up Yahoo Mail, and clicked the settings cog icon in the top right hand corner but it doesnt take me to the account/security settings, just Themes and Message Layout.
I can get to a similar bunch of settings by clicking my name and going into 'Add & Manage Accounts' that way, but I see nothing there that is on the link you sent me. The instructions on that link mention Outlook android? Is that to add it on a cell phone?...Im wanting to add Outlook onto my laptop.
I see the 2 step verification and I turned that on without any problems (step 3 ), but no step 4 regarding Outlook Express.
Im totally stuck now as my current email client Thunderbird is also messed up...

Hi @Andy_Whitwham,

Thank you for your update. The reference article provided also works for setting up in Microsoft Outlook for Windows and Mac.

I am glad that you were able to navigate to Yahoo's Account Security page and turn on the two-step verification. The next step is to generate an app password. You can do that on the same Account Security page where you turned on the two-step verification.

Under 2-Step Verification, you must find Other ways to sign in then App Password, please click Generate app password.
Yahoo - Generate app password.png

Then, click Get started on the App passwords pop-out window.

MsCharlieLima_0-1650814799483.png

Enter your preferred app's name, in this example, Microsoft Outlook. Then click Generate password.

MsCharlieLima_2-1650815043466.png

A one-time app password will be generated. Copy the app password without spaces and use it to setup the Yahoo account in Microsoft Outlook.

MsCharlieLima_3-1650815452422.png

Finally, you can add your Yahoo account to Microsoft Outlook using the steps in Add an email account to Outlook (support.microsoft.com). Remember to use the app password generated when Microsoft Outlook prompts you for a password.

Also, for security and privacy, never share your passwords and/or app passwords with anyone else.

Let me know in case you have further queries or concerns, and I will be happy to assist you. Have a great day!

Regards,

chlac

Many thanks chlac...much appreciated, Ill try that when I get back home, have a good weekend.

Hi @Andy_Whitwham,

You're welcome! Kindly keep me posted if you were able to add your Yahoo account in Microsoft Outlook. Let me know in case you have further queries or concerns, and I will be happy to assist you. Have a great day!

Regards,
chlac