MathType add-in problem

Copper Contributor

Hello,

I am using the add-in program "MathType" from Design Science, for creating mathematical equations in Word. Ever since I upgraded from Word 2010 to Word 2016, the inserted math equations from MathType are aligned too high with respect to the baseline of the text. When inserting display-style (stand-alone) equations, they are cropped at the top.

Searching the web for possible solutions, it seems that many have the same problem, but no stable solutions are available. 

I just talked to a support person at Microsoft Denmark, who also recognized that this is an unsolved bug in Word, in spite of many customers having the same problem. He recommended to post the problem here.

Is there a way to convince Microsoft to take this bug seriously, and find a solution? The problem is super disturbing for my work flow, as I am writing scientific texts on a daily basis, for teaching and dissemination of research. Mathtype has been a good companion for this for the past 10 years or so, and suddenly, with Word 2016, it is not a useful option anymore.

Below is an example of what the problem looks like on my screen... The document was written in Word 2010, and now opened in Word 2016. 

With the best regards,

Peter Uhd Jepsen

Technical University of Denmark

2017-03-20_16h01_00.jpg

4 Replies

I doubt it will get much attention here to be honest. There's a space dedicated to Word on the Tech Community, you can try posting there too (https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/Word/bd-p/Word). But it's not really monitored.

Perhaps UserVoice is a better option: https://word.uservoice.com/. Although I can see that the same issue is reported there already, apparently to no effect.

Why dont you just stick to LaTeX? :)

Thanks, Vasil.
Honestly I'm not expecting much feedback on this from MS, but just wanted to raise the issue where the support person I spoke to on the phone thought it was appropriate.
LaTeX: I'm coming back on that track now! :)

I have the same problem as well. From a search in the internet, the only solution appears to be rolling back the system to an earlier build. 
If anyone finds a better solution, manages to track down what the source of the problem is, please post it here.

@Vasil Michevold word documents do not open properly, same problem as power point some years ago, lost years of work....