Management of Distribution List in Office 365

Brass Contributor

I manage a hybrid environment for Office 365 using Azure AD Connect for AD synchronization, so no local mailbox server just Exchange Admin Console running on on-premise Exchange Server 2016 to allow for Exchange attribute modifications, etc. on user objects in AD.

I ran into a problem before when one of my users needed to modify a distribution list which stopped working after we migrated mailboxes to Office 365. I found out that in order for this to work, I needed to recreate the distribution group for cloud not on-premise since user mailboxes are online.

This worked great and user was now able to modify the members of the distribution group via the Address Book in Outlook 2016 which is part of our Office 365 ProPlus via our subscription plan.

Now, I'm trying to do the exact same thing for another user but this time, testing this to make sure it works like before yielded different results. Here is my problem...I recreated the group for online, added a test account as owner using the Office 365 Admin Console. I then logged into Outlook 2016 with that test account and was able to modify the group just fine.

I then removed the test account, added the real user that needs this ability, but that user cannot modify the group. To make things more confusing, I'm still able to log in with test account and modify the group using Address Book from within Outlook 2016 even though the test account has been removed from the group as owner days ago.

The group properties are setup to allow only owners to modify the group and I can't find anything during my research online that helps me understand why this is happening and how to solve it.

Any help would be greatly appreciated it, thanks.

P.S. - I've attached the screen shot of the error I'm getting

5 Replies

Have the user try this from OWA. He needs to open the settings -> General -> Distribution groups (or directly via https://outlook.office.com/owa/?path=/options/distributiongroups) and make the changes there

Vasil,

I appreciate your input and I'm familiar with this area to make changes, but even if the user can do this it doesn't answer my question as to why they can't using Outlook when another user can?

We use Outlook here at the office, so it's more convenient to make these changes this way than having to log into OWA to do this...thanks.

What I'm saying is to run a test via OWA, which will give you a clue whether the issue is specific to Outlook, or it's something on the backend configuration.

Ok, I'll have the user try this since I'm wanting to test if this is also an issue on their Outlook vs. another one on a different computer. I'll post my findings once it's tested...thanks.
I had the user try it using OWA got the same results. I also had the user create a new profile on my computer and a new Outlook profile and still the same results, so this means it's not a computer/Outlook issue but an account issue.

I'm not getting any feedback from the community except from you, so it looks like I'll have to open up a service ticket with Office 365 support.