License requirement for Bookings with education package

Copper Contributor

Our university currently uses Office 365 A1.  I would like to use Bookings for students to book appointments with various teachers.

As I understand it, we would need to get the A3 license to include Bookings.

But do we only need to get an A3 license for the teacher setting up Bookings (i.e. only one license), or do we need to upgrade the license for the teachers who will be booked, or do we need to upgrade to A3 for all the teachers and the students (probably too expensive).

Thank you.

5 Replies

@John_Porteous Bookings requires the A3 for Faculty license; not the A3 for Students one.

Thank's for the response.
Do you know if we (the university) would need to get the A3 license for all the faculty, or could just the one person setting up Bookings get the A3 license (and the rest of the faculty remain on the A1 license)?

@John_Porteous I think the A3 for Faculty license is only necessary for the "booker".  Any other users - including unlicensed/external users - should be able to use the app as a consumer.

@Tony Derricott Thank you again for your second response. Much appreciated.

Update:

I received this message:

"Hello, I read your post about the booking system for education, I wanna ask you, in the end you can solve this issue, I have the same question, i have A1 for faculty and student, but i want know if only one people can have A3 for faculty or we need have A3 for alls teachers."

Answer:

Yes, I solved it. After talking with Microsoft, they said we can upgrade a limited number of licenses to A3 - we do not have to upgrade all the teachers' licenses. This is a good solution.

In our case, the university is now deciding whether to buy the A3 licenses for all teachers - so it is going through the administrative process - I'm still waiting!

Extra note:

I did try a 30-day trial version of the Business version. I like the Booking system, but of course, it cannot join to the university contacts list/network - which is a good thing for security, but this doesn't help in my situation.