Junk E-mail Settings for Shared Mailboxes

Copper Contributor

Hi,

We started to receive all email for our shared inbox to junk folder. I have set some of them as safe senders, but it didn't help. How can I check/amend junk settings for our shared mailboxes please?

Regards

14 Replies

To modify your Junk Email settings on Shared Mailbox, you may follow these steps:

1. Access it via browser by using this URL, https://outlook.office365.com/ecp/admin@contoso.com (Sample Shared Mailbox Email Address)

2. On the options, click block or allow. Select "Don't move email to my Junk folder" and click Save.

PowerShell is easiest way to set junk mail configurations for shared mailbox.

To fetch the configuration:

Get-MailboxJunkEMailConfiguration -Identity "Shared Mailbox" | Format-List

To set it, use Set-MailboxEmailConfiguration. In this instance, I add "BadGirls.com" to the blocked list and set three domains up as trusted senders.

Set-MailboxJunkEMailConfiguration –Identity "Shared Mailbox"
–BlockedSendersAndDomains @{Add="Badgirls.com"} –ContactsTrusted $True
–TrustedSendersAndDomains "Microsoft.com", "Office365.com", "Outlook.com"

And of course, if you wanted to set the same configuration for all shared mailboxes in the tenant, you'd do:

Get-Mailbox -RecipientTypeDetails SharedMailbox | Set-MailboxJunkEMailConfiguration....

Aljohn, when I click on your link it says "Access Denied" is this a setting for admins only or is it something I need to request access to?

Yes, you need to be at least an Exchange Administrator to do this.

@Inna Chigareva 

Same problem, most external email -> shared mailbox went to spam.

This (below) worked for me, I call it a: partial (warning: - choice of 2 evils -) solution

Exchange Admin Center -> Mail Flow -> Rules

... Add a Bypass Spam Filtering:  is sent to '<shared box>'  (select from list)

... ... Set the spam confidence level to: Bypass (-1)

(I tried other levels, only Bypass worked)

So yeah, you will let actual spam in too, but it's either that or lose email.  (email client should help mitigate against some spam).

Absolutely still need ms to fix this bug properly.

Thanx, it works for me.

@Tony Redmond If this is the easiest method, then there is something seriously wrong with the implementation.  The average end user is not going to know, or even want to know PowerShell.  This is fine for system Admins and developers, but the average user in accounting will not do this.  As a system admin, my life should not be delegated for managing junk email.  This is why Microsoft keeps falling flat on it's face, dumb down interfaces so it's impossible to use unless you are a developer and find a way to "hack it".  That's exactly what PowerShell is to the end user, a hack.

No one is advocating that normal users run PowerShell commands to update junk email settings. Administrators should do this for them.
This is my point. In Microsoft's view, Administrators are for managing junk email. We have better things to do, like read license agreements.
Implementing a common set of blocked sites is quick and easy for an administrator to do with PowerShell and is a better use of their time than mastering the archaic details of licensing. Or better again, don't allow end users to maintain safelists and depend on tenant-wide blocklists instead. https://practical365.com/junk-email-options/
Apparently my sarcasm has eluded you. My time is better spent on fixing broken Microsoft patches that take down domain controllers, not managing end user emails. Why can't Microsoft implement a way in Outlook for a shared mailbox junk email options to be managed the end user? You may not trust your users that much, but I like giving them options. I don't need to micromanage my users, I need to micromanage my servers, firewalls, switches, you know, the things that help my users stay productive. I find it annoying that MS constantly moves more and more to the admins, simply because they refuse to complete and test their applications and patches. You are correct on one thing, their licensing is archaic.

All of that said, Your solution for administrators is commendable, workable and useful. It's just a shame that this is another responsibility dumped on admins due to lack of care and completeness by the developers at Microsoft.
I don't think of it like that. Microsoft 365 is a broad church and many of the management settings seem to be tailored for small to medium tenants rather than enterprise tenants. But PowerShell and other automation tools are available to tailor management to the needs of the tenant. You can decide to use them or not, just like you can decide to use Microsoft 365 or not. I suspect that there's no bright cloud that's perfectly balanced between user and administrator requirements waiting outside Microsoft 365.

More of my sparkling advice is available in https://gum.co/O365IT/