SOLVED

Is there a way to convert Office 365 group to Shared Mailbox easily? + DL's changing email address

Brass Contributor

Is there a way to convert Office 365 group to Shared Mailbox easily using powershell, we dont want to loose the conversations either or is it too complex.  

Users dont want an office 365 group, I have tried!   but they like moving emails around into different folders and we dont have cached exchange mode.

I also have DL's to change the email address for but they are sync'ed onpremise and other groups, can you easily change these with powershell  ?   

Thanks 

Simon 

8 Replies
Mmm...AFAIK, what you are asking for does not exist Today. By the way: have you tried the drag and drop capabilities you have in Groups? Is it not enough for your users?

lost without a folder list , they don't get the drag and drop concept users never have, if they had a archive button, with archived conversations then maybe !  

The only thing that comes close to migration is to do an eDiscovery search and use the resulting set to upload into a Shared mailbox. Or use some EWS-based script or 3rd party tool to do a "migration". But as Juan said, there's nothing built-in.

best response confirmed by Simon Allison (Brass Contributor)
Solution

You should be able to delete group and then restore the mail into a new shared mailbox.

$deletedGroup=get-mailbox -SoftDeletedMailbox -GroupMailbox -Filter {name -like "o365groupname*"}

$targetuser=get-mailbox -Identity sharedbox@yourtenant.onmicrosoft.com

New-MailboxRestoreRequest -SourceMailbox $deletedGroup.DistinguishedName -TargetMailbox $targetuser.DistinguishedName -AllowLegacyDNMismatch -Verbose

To show the restore status
Get-MailboxRestoreRequest

Hi Jim,

thanks for this hint! It works for me....

Bye

Jens

@TheHailender 

Hey, I know it's been a long time since you've done it but I'm wondering if you lost anything related to the group in Teams?

I have to migrate an O365 group to a shared mailbox but they've been working with Teams and have many files and conversations they want to keep... I don't want them to lose all of it.

Thanks.

@MarioLemieux87 Hi Mario 

I would setup a test scenario first, create another account and fill it with Teams Conversations and Files and then run the commands, the commands may have changed slightly though since I asked the question.   

@Jim Sepanik This worked perfectly. Thank you so much for providing this. It made my life much easier saving all the group emails.

I find it interesting how much extra functionality there is if you are willing to use PowerShell.

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by Simon Allison (Brass Contributor)
Solution

You should be able to delete group and then restore the mail into a new shared mailbox.

$deletedGroup=get-mailbox -SoftDeletedMailbox -GroupMailbox -Filter {name -like "o365groupname*"}

$targetuser=get-mailbox -Identity sharedbox@yourtenant.onmicrosoft.com

New-MailboxRestoreRequest -SourceMailbox $deletedGroup.DistinguishedName -TargetMailbox $targetuser.DistinguishedName -AllowLegacyDNMismatch -Verbose

To show the restore status
Get-MailboxRestoreRequest

View solution in original post