SOLVED

Is it possible to move the Search Box in Outlook to another position ?

Brass Contributor

Hello,

We found that the Search Box was moved into the title bar of our desktop Outlook 365. Is it possible to change its position ?

Cheers

110 Replies

@Zidong_NIE 

really don't like this modification forcing the search bar on the ribbon, there should be an option to move! 

I agree I don't like it either. It requires more time to move the mouse above the ribbon.  I even move my quick tools below the ribbon to save on mouse movement. Unless you are going to add a keyboard shortcut to jump to the search field - it should be moved back! @TheUltimateBug 

@dioadmin 

Something I find interesting is that they did ask some of us to evaluate it while it was in beta. Either people did not provide feedback (I did) or they didn't take the feedback seriously. I would be shocked if people said they liked the change.

@fganter 

lets just say most people did in fact like the change with personalization like this why not just keep the option open for those that DONT like it! Struggle to understand the force layout on the customer, these things should always be customizable. 

Its really a bad idea to move Search to the top. When you click on the search, it covers a number of Ribbon items and we may need to select those ribbon items to be clicked while the cursor is in the search.

@Vasil Michev 

I have seen this happen with a lot of technology lately. It seems they taking something that worked and changing it for the sake of "look we changed it" and it's not an improvement, makes additional clicks for the same work like the search bar.  I hope they change this in the next update or at least make it so people can choose where to put it. 

it's a really bad design issue they must bring it back 

I spent a long time finding my stuff

hope they will listen to our voices : )

@Zidong_NIE,  my installation of Outlook 365 just changed last week.  I see others having seen this horrible change for a year, which is odd since I keep current with updates.  Anyway, this is a seriously bad change--pushing stuff to the title bar, removing previously working and well-located functionality.  Anyone have new details on how to undo this unwanted change?

Thanks!

It's a bad improvement to the search bar location. It drops down over mail box and not user friendly as it was.
Yes its in a terrible position - no access to any filters without clicking all around the screen!

@Zidong_NIE I am with everyone on here. This has to be the worst possible update out of everything that should be done. Please put it back. I use the search bar every day as I get anywhere from 200-400 emails daily. Being on top of the ribbon makes it visually harder to correlate my search to what I am actually seeing in the mailbox I am reviewing.

@Zidong_NIE Horrible design that needs to be fixed!

Yes totally agree, it needs to go back to where it was and how it was asap.

Horrible change, it would be like your auto mechanic moving your window switch from the door to the dash.

@TheUltimateBug To change where your mail default searches --- You can go into Outlook Options >> down to Search >>>> Under Results >>>>> click All Mailboxes

Agree, this is awful. Makes me wonder what the people who put it there were looking at when they decided it was a good location.

@PIreland   I have long held the belief that Microsoft doesn't actually listen to those 'focus groups' they insist they use.  Unless myself, and the people in my circle, are completely clueless as to how applications and computers work.

This change just appeared for me and I was ready to re-install Office because I couldn't find the search box.  I finally found it.  In the title bar.  Wait, what?  The title bar?  Whyever would you put something other than the application title in the title bar?  

The new location is terrible. Please move back or provide means to customize.

This was a big mistake.  I mean, having the search dropdown obscure the ribbon tools for searching?  Seriously?  What were they thinking?

@Zidong_NIE Please please say you found a fix.  This just happened to me and it's the worst thing ever.  Not only is it not intuitive, but I feel like the search functionality itself is limited.  Nothing I search for is finidng it in my mailbox, and i've never had that problem before.