Install MS Access when the Office 365 suite is already installed

Copper Contributor

We recently rolled out Office 365 2016 suite (C2R) using the Office Deployment Tool and SCCM.  We excluded Access from the install as most users don't need it and the ones that do needed to update their DB's before we deployed.

Now the organization is ready to roll out Access, but I'm unable to find a way to install Access using the ODT without uninstalling the whole Office Suite.  When I run the setup.exe /configure configuration.xml, it uninstalls everything and just puts on Access. 

Here is what my configuration.xml file looks like:

<Configuration>
    <Add OfficeClientEdition="32" Channel="Broad" OfficeMgmtCOM="TRUE">
        <Product ID="O365ProPlusRetail">
            <Language ID="en-us" />
            <ExcludeApp ID="Excel" />
     <ExcludeApp ID="Groove" />
      <ExcludeApp ID="Lync" />
       <ExcludeApp ID="OneDrive" />
     <ExcludeApp ID="OneNote" />
      <ExcludeApp ID="Outlook" />
       <ExcludeApp ID="PowerPoint" />
        <ExcludeApp ID="Publisher" />
      <ExcludeApp ID="Word" />       
     <ExcludeApp ID="SharePointDesigner" />
        </Product>
    </Add>
<Updates Enabled="FALSE" />
    <Display Level="None" AcceptEULA="TRUE" />
    <Logging Level="Standard" Path="%temp%"/>
  <Property Name="PinIconsToTaskbar" Value="FALSE"/>
</Configuration>

Any ideas on how to add Access without uninstalling the whole suite?

7 Replies

Just thinking wouldn't you have the standard config that doesn't include Access and then the other config which includes everything from the standard config plus Access? Or wouldn't that work?

@cian - Yes, going forward, that's what we'll do.  But the users that need Access already have 2016 installed.  What I want to try and avoid is uninstalling the whole suite and installing again so we can minimize user impact. 

I just want to add Access to the existing suite.

@jm_paradigm  Did you ever get a resolution to this?  I am needing Access now and am in the same situation...

You need to remove the excludes for all the other apps. That's what's uninstalling, because they're marked as excluded.

Use your original XML and just remove the line that excludes access

@jm_paradigm 

Hey,

if I had the same problem... I have microsoft office proffesional plus 2016 and I managed to solve this issue. 

1) open apps and features

2) find microsoft office proffesional plus 2016 (it might work on other offices as well)

3)click modify

4)then add or remove features

5)find microsoft access

6)click run from my computer

7)continue and restart Your PC and access should be there :)

I hope it works for You and other users who are facing this problem.

There's no "Office" entry in Add/Remove Programs for Office365 so those instructions will not work unfortunately.
Running Office with the Same XML has your normal install but without access excluded should in theory add access to the current install.
We are having some issues with that currently, but this is the known way.