Incident report not being delivered to Gmail account.

Brass Contributor

Hi,

I have set up rules to send incident reports to external emails when an email arrives into certain exchange online inboxes, see rule.gif.

When this rule is triggered an incident report email is send, as in my example below, email.gif.

The email is not arriving into a particular GMail Inbox, it is not appearing in any folder, eg. Spam etc.

Can I check to see what emails have all been sent from postmaster@investni.com to see if the email has been sent at all?

Regards,

Ollie

email.GIFrule.GIF

9 Replies

Hi Oliver,

Sure you can. In the Exchange Admin Centre use Message Trace.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/exchange/monitoring/trace-an-email-message/run-a-message-trace-and-...

Hope that answers your question!

Best, Chris

..and from security and compliance center :)

The message is being bounced by GMail because it is not RFC 5322 compliant. From header is missing.

Any ideas how to resolve this?

Thanks,

Ollie

Hi Oliver,

Could try the following: how about delivering the report to an internal mailbox (I.e. shared mailbox and then having a forwarder on the mailbox to send to the external recipient?

Best, Chris

Not ideal as there about 10 of these reports.

they were set up because a forwarder was not set up on their corporate to private emails before they were given access and set their own passwords.

We cannot set up forwarders with logging into their accounts.

These people are external board members and need their hand held.

Thanks Oliver

It's a bit of a tricky one and I know it's not ideal. It's also awkward from a compliance perspective because ideally, you don't want corporate information going to personal accounts like GMail or Hotmail. There would be a business case to state that such reports should only go to a corporate mailbox and then both mailboxes configured, say, on the Outlook app which has app protection policies on them.

You can always set up forwarders on their corporate account in the Exchange Online admin console by selecting recipients > user > and I think its delivery options. So you don't need to touch the mailbox/have login details to apply forwarding.

I would still see if the shared mailbox (hidden from GAL) - forwarder actually works and delivers to the external user. It's not ideal by it may get around the 5322 compliance error. If the emails generated in the incident report have no From address then its going to be difficult to square that without delivering it somewhere else first.

Best, Chris

Best, Chris

We looked at forwarding but some of the information could be sensitive, so we only want an alert sent to their personal that they have received an email form bob@abc.com to their corporate Inbox.

Is this possible through Exchange Online?

Is it in any way possible to force emails generated in the incident report to have a From address? postmaster@investni.com

Regards,

Ollie 

No, AFAIK there is no way to force in an incident report to have a From address.

If it is just an alert that you need to say to the external contact that there is an email from a specific person, and you don't want to use the workaround method above, then I would consider doing it with Microsoft Flow

https://flow.microsoft.com/en-us/

If you have an Office 365 plan then Flow should be included in your account. You should be able to build a flow that says when an email from a specific person goes to the mailbox, send an alert to the mobile, or push it onto the Gmail account.

Best, Chris