SOLVED

Inbox Delegation

Brass Contributor

Hi Team,

I would just like to confirm on something regarding giving delegation from inbox to a user.

I have a user that gave delegation to his Inbox to a user but the user failed to open the Inbox with an error message "Cannot expand the folder". What I did was to refresh the delegation permission thru PowerShell: 

Add-MailboxFolderPermission -Identity UserOwner@domain.com:\Inbox -User user1@domain.com  -AccessRights Editor

Based on Microsoft's documentation, when giving an Editor's access rights, it includes the ff:

• Editor: CreateItems, DeleteAllItems, DeleteOwnedItems, EditAllItems, EditOwnedItems, FolderVisible, ReadItems

But upon checking, the user still cannot access the user's inbox with the following message:

"Cannot display the folder. Microsoft Outlook cannot access the specified folder location. The operation failed. An object cannot be found"

I am searching and most of the cause of this error message is that the folder visible is not enable on the user's mailbox. But based on Microsoft, what I understand is that the FolderVisible is already included in the Editor rights.

Any thoughts regarding this one? Is my way of giving permission not enough? Or is it a problem in the user's profile in Outlook?

3 Replies
best response confirmed by m365123 (Brass Contributor)
Solution

FolderVisible needs to be set on every folder in the path to the folder you're trying to delegate. In the case of Inbox, you need to grant FolderVisible permissions on the root:

Add-MailboxFolderPermission -Identity UserOwner@domain.com -User user1@domain.com  -AccessRights FolderVisible

Will try to enter this one and I will let you know if this will fix the problem.
Thank you very much! It works!
1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by m365123 (Brass Contributor)
Solution

FolderVisible needs to be set on every folder in the path to the folder you're trying to delegate. In the case of Inbox, you need to grant FolderVisible permissions on the root:

Add-MailboxFolderPermission -Identity UserOwner@domain.com -User user1@domain.com  -AccessRights FolderVisible

View solution in original post