Inactive Mailboxes on non-org wide retention policies

Copper Contributor

Greetings All,

I am trying to understand how having multiple retention policies for Exchange Online mailboxes effects inactive mailboxes.

I need to create three separate mailbox retention policies ranging from 3, 5, 10 years. By default, everyone is added to the three year policy but some users may need additional retention and thus added to the other policies. Membership for the 5 and 10 year policies is done manually as dynamic group membership is sadly not supported.

According to this document link, retention policies configured for specific inclusions or exclusions don't support inactive mailboxes. So, my 5 and 10 year policy are considered specific since they only apply to those members added.

Question: If a user is added to the 5 or 10 year policy, and then we delete the user object, does the mailbox become an inactive mailbox subject to the 5 or 10 year policy? Or is just limited to the three year policy?

2021-08-25_9-59-02.jpg

2 Replies
I think what they mean above is that it doesn't *automatically* include any already existing inactive mailboxes, as in you have to manually specify those (prefixing the address with .). It should work just fine if you add them manually, and as far as converting a mailbox to inactive is concerned, any type of hold should do. In any case, you can open a support case to ask for clarification.

Thanks for the replay Vasil. I have a case opened with MS for clarification. I think I understand now. Its really talking about an existing policy that is set for all recipients. If I changed that policy to just specific users, those inactive mailboxes remain untouched by the change to the policy.