SOLVED

Hybrid migration from Exsisting O365/Exchange hybrid setup to new O365 tenant

Copper Contributor

Hi we have a customer with about 130 mailboxes onpremise, in a hybrid Exchange 2013/O365 setup.

Update with final solution:

As there where a lot of unknows in this 2 step migration, we ended up using Quest mail migration tools instead.

Now i need to move those mailboxes to a new separate O365 tenant, which eventually will be federated (ADConnect + ADFS) with a new onpremise AD.

Is it possible with the Hybrid Configuration Wizard to setup hybrid with another O365 tenant, and migrate the users that way if we give them mail address and UPN on a new domain.

Updatet post with additional information for clarification:

Source enviroment:

OnPremise AD (olddomain.com)

Exchange 2013 hybrid setup with O365 (olddomain.com) 

ADConnect and ADFS with O365 

olddomain.com UPN and mail address

Target enviroment:

New OnPremise AD (newdomain.com)

New O365 tenant (newdomain.com)

ADConnect and ADFS with O365

I was thinking if it is possible to do something link this:

1) Change users UPN/Mail address to newdomain.com in the exsisting setup

2) Create hybrid against the new O365 tenant, and then migrate the mailboxes

3) Tear down hybrid setup with old setup

4) Setup ADConnect and ADFS between New AD and O365

6 Replies

Hi there,

This question is a little bit foggy, can you break it down into chronological steps i.e.

-Add domain A to office 365

-Setup Hybrid

-Migrate mailboxes

-Add Domain B to Office 365

etc

Hi Michael,

To migrate mailboxes to another tenant, please follow the following link https://support.office.com/en-us/article/how-to-migrate-mailboxes-from-one-office-365-tenant-to-anot...

You could not have the same domain in different tenants and also hybrid and AD Connect.

Hi Mitch,

I have opdatede the original post with more information
best response confirmed by Michael Knudsen (Copper Contributor)
Solution

This is possible however its kind of the wrong way round, remember the users and identities are syncronised from on-prem, removing the hybrid and AADC from the old domain and converting the users to "cloud" users would mean that there would be no users in your new on-prem domain.

Usually you would migrate to newdomain on premises first and then populate the new tenant from the new domain.

Hi Mitch i do agree with you on that, and did intend to do it that way, however i might have explained it wrong in my post.

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by Michael Knudsen (Copper Contributor)
Solution

This is possible however its kind of the wrong way round, remember the users and identities are syncronised from on-prem, removing the hybrid and AADC from the old domain and converting the users to "cloud" users would mean that there would be no users in your new on-prem domain.

Usually you would migrate to newdomain on premises first and then populate the new tenant from the new domain.

View solution in original post