How to remove mailboxes from on-premise - After Migrating to Office365

Copper Contributor

After migrated 80% of mailboxes into Office 365 and running Hybrid environment, would like to remove drives/mailboxes from the Exchange on-premise VM . Please see attached screen shot.

As you see per the screen shot is it possible to merge all the database into one mailbox?

If possible than i can move all the database into one drive and the rest can be discounted from Exchange Virtual machine.

Thanks,

Yousuf

6 Replies

Hi @Yousuf Khan,

I cannot see the image that you refer, but you can move all mailboxes to one database to another drive. When you do not have any mailboxes on source database, you can delete it and when you do not have databases on that drive letter you can remove it. 

Exchange will not delete a database if there is any active information there.

Hi @Yousuf Khan,

As I said and suspected without the image, you can move all mailboxes to a single database and after you do not have any data you can delete the database on exchange and after have confirmed that you do not need anything on that drives you can remove them. Is always advised to backup all first.

Hi Silva, Thank you however how i can move all mailboxes and after deleting the database on exchange.

Can you provide the steps?

Thanks,
Yousuf

Hi @Yousuf Khan,

You have many articles on internet.

To move mailboxes you can follow this link https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/powershell/module/exchange/move-and-migration/new-moverequest?view=...

If you are not confortable to do those operations please contact a Microsoft Partner with expertise on Exchange environments to help you. You could have dataloss if you do not do it right.