How to recover an excel file with format and details that are wrongly save as CSV format?

Copper Contributor

Hi

Would like to check out is there any way to recover and excel file with format and details that are wrongly save as CSV format.

The orginal raw file is a CSV format but had done some tabulation and format on the file that was accidentally save as CSV and deleted the recovery file as well.

Please advise is there way to recover the file to excel format from the CSV format.

Thank you

17 Replies

Afraid no way if you opened it as CSV, made some formatting and save as CSV again.

@Yanping . wrote:

Hi

Would like to check out is there any way to recover and excel file with format and details that are wrongly save as CSV format.

The orginal raw file is a CSV format but had done some tabulation and format on the file that was accidentally save as CSV and deleted the recovery file as well.

Please advise is there way to recover the file to excel format from the CSV format.

Thank you

Hello,

You can try to convert CSV file to Excel. I know the three ways

1. Directly open CSV file in Excel: Open MS Excel and go to Open. Select the CSV file and open it. When you select the CSV file then click on the file type Text Files (*.prn, *.txt, *.csv). This selection will help to list the the file of these formats.
  2. Open CSV file using Windows explorer: This is the quickest way open the CSV file in Excel format. Right-click on the CSV file and select Open with option. choose default program from the context menu. Click on the Excel (Desktop) under recommended program. check the box "Always use the selected program to open this kind of file". Click Ok.
  3. Import CSV to Excel: Open MS Excel, go to Data tab. Select From Text option. Now brows for the CSV file, select the file and click on the Import button. 

Good Luck

@Robin Shanab wrote:

@Yanping .wrote:

Hi

Thank you

Hello,

You can try to convert CSV file to Excel. I know the three ways

1. Directly open CSV file in Excel: Open MS Excel and go to Open. Select the CSV file and open it. When you select the CSV file then click on the file type Text Files (*.prn, *.txt, *.csv). This selection will help to list the the file of these formats.
  2. Open CSV file using Windows explorer: This is the quickest way open the CSV file in Excel format. Right-click on the CSV file and select Open with option. choose default program from the context menu. Click on the Excel (Desktop) under recommended program. check the box "Always use the selected program to open this kind of file". Click Ok.
  3. Import CSV to Excel: Open MS Excel, go to Data tab. Select From Text option. Now brows for the CSV file, select the file and click on the Import button. 

Good Luck

Thanks, @Robin Shanab! Option 3 from your list has literally saved my life!

Good to know that solution 3 worked for you. 

Keep reading!

Regards,

Robin Shanab

I had accidentally saved csv file and lost my other tabs (sheets) ,
What should I have to do ?
Can I get it back
Hello, did you manage to recover the other tabs?
The same thing happened to me, and I am wondering if I can recover my other tabs.
Any help would be much appreciated
Same here! 5 hours of tedious work done in 3 other tabs LOST because I forgot to change the file format to (.xlsx) before saving! Can anything be done?? </3
Same here, saved many tabs as a csv file after working 8+ hours. Option 3 didn't work for me. I guess it's back to the drawing board. Unreal.

@Robin Shanab 

I did the same think.  Hours of work wasted.  I did learn a valuable lesson so I guess it was worth it.  I do wonder why the other tabs were even permitted without a prompt to change the format to save it.  It is  a fault for some program I think.  I was on the alternate tab when I saved it so I would think it shoud be somewhere!

@Rhonda910 I just did the same thing and lost all the data on other tabs. 

To help avoid this in the future, in Excel go to File > Options > Save under Save workbooks, and check "Show data loss warning when editing comma delimited file (*.csv)"

Now when I open a csv file I get this warning:

sandshellssurf_0-1652299944993.png

@sameightsix 

The same thing just happened to me and I tested to see if I was receiving an alert and Excel is not giving an alert that it is a CSV file.  Just started happening because in the past I was able to resave as an excel file.  I am so frustrated litterly hours of lost work because when I saved it said it saved but never saved all the worksheets!!!!

@Yanping . 

Found this on Reddit. It's always worth a try:

C:\Users%username%\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Excel\ might have something if your lucky.

@Olivier_Remy88 

thank you!!!  This absolutely worked for me, there were several different files to choose from and I chose the one with the latest time stamp.  All my spreadsheet tabs were included even though I had been working on it in .txt format when my computer shut down.

@12kylen Same. I can't believe the program would allow this. I am furious.  

@sandshellssurf 

Thank you for this! Maybe it will save me in the future. I wish that were the default setting. 

Maybe it was the default, and I turned it off. ??