How to provide access to SharePoint while 'hiding' Office365 password

Copper Contributor

Hi

Users currently access their email (Office365) via Outlook 2010 but do not know their Office365 passwords (this is stored in their email profile on the Windows client machine).  This is done to restrict access to email to only business provided PCs/laptops.

Challenge is to implement SharePoint and control access by continuing to withhold the Office365 password.

Can someone kindly point me at the most appropriate forum to ask this question?

Environment

• Windows 10 client machines in Windows Domain
  • Office 2010
  • Windows Server 2016 on premises domain controller
  • Office 365 Business Essentials
  • Email access is via Outlook 2010

Thanks

... Nigel

4 Replies
I don’t really get you scenario, keeping the password from your users! There are other ways of preventing access to undesired resources/ services!

A much better approach would be to
1. update the version of Office - 2010 does not support modern authentication methods. Office Pro Plus is recommended, or at a minimum, use the office web apps.
2. Implement Azure AD Conditional Access- this will allow you to block access when users are not on company provided equipment or the company network
I accept that there are probably better ways to restrict access than keeping the password hidden. The need to implement SharePoint is driving us to find a better solution. The constraints are that we are a not-for-profit organisation so do not have many resources in terms of IT expertise or budget. We need to find an alternative solution.

Thanks
As a non-profit organisation we should be able to obtain an ‘Enterprise Mobility and Security - Nonprofit Cloud Subscription’ which includes ‘Azure Active Directory Premium P1’. We would then need to integrate Azure AD Connect sync into our current infrastructure which is probably a non trivial exercise. However if there is no simpler way to control access to work provided devices only then we will have to consider it.