SOLVED

how to move my outlook.pst file from old computer to a new one

Brass Contributor

I have office 365 license.

I used office on "old" computer, where I have outlook.pst file.

I am still using office on "another" laptop, for random word, excel and PowerPoint edits.

Now I bought a new pc at home, "new", and want to move outlook.pst file from "old" to "new".

But I can't find where is outlook.pst file - where is it?

When I installed from office 365, I had only an option to synch all devices - but i do not wish to use a cloud, i do not wish to rely on network. I will use outlook only from "new".

Where should I put my "old" outlook.pst file in the "new" computer?

41 Replies

first gmail was added when I installed office365.

But now I can't add the second gmail - Outlook keeps asking me for the password - where should I change in gmail2?

Seems you entered the wrong password! You have to go to gmail.com and try there, maybe resetting it

gmail2 is open in a browser. password is correct.

something else prevents me from adding the account

Delete the account in outlook and redo the configuration! It’s should be really easy just selecting gmail then enter address and password! What kind of message do you get?

The gmail2 dows not appear in outlook, I couldn't add it, nothing to delete.

only gmail1 appears

I keep getting requests to enter the password

Add a new account and try again ! What message did you get?
Are you 100% sure who entered the same credentials as on the web?
Also, regarding the pst and ost, you might just copy the mails over to you outlook mail within the outlook client on the old machine! They will then sync to the cloud and be visible on your new computer!
That way you don’t have to copy anything between them
Do you add the gmail through file -> add account?

Adam

I have tens of thousands of emails, collected for many years...

gmail1 was setup during installation, i was asked about address and password, and it was there. i didn't enter it manually.

"new" Outlook "discovered" outlook.pst file, I can see now all email folders and the contacts, not yet the calendar items. Still can't connect gmail2

Just try a bit later after synchronization is done etc..
Not everything is there.
How can I upload all outlook on "old" computer to the cload?
Drag and drop / right-click copy the mails/ folders from the offline folders to your mail account! ( where you are receiving mail )

I moved all folders to gmail using "old" computer outlook - I can see them.

I unuinstalled office365 from "new" computer, and deleted the outlook.pst copy I used from "old" computer.

Then I wanted to install office365 in "new" computer from scratch.

After installing office365, when I open outlook the system complains I don't have outlook.pst.

I can't see the most updated outlook as I can see in the "old" computer and gmail.

How can I install office365 in my "new" computer from scratch, ignoring everything I did yesterday?

Just go into program and apps in the Control panel and remove alt respit your installation! It could be updates not yet reached your install! You can search for updates if I remember right file - account!
Try just removing the account! Add it again then add the pst file

Adam

"Control panel" - In control panel I had "office365" and I uninstalled it. I rebooted twice. I went to "My account" in "My office365", "Manage installs", and signed out from office in my "new" computer.

Still, installation was not the same as the first time, when I was asked about my gmail.

I am ready to do it again, just what is "remove alt respit your installation"? 

How the system remembered the outlook.pst I tried to import yesterday from my user directory? I need to erase this.

"You can search for updates if I remember right file - account" - what do you mean? where to search? which account?

best response confirmed by efratnakash (Brass Contributor)
Solution
Install again! Setup account! Import pst like link said from yesterday! It won’t remember the pst file!

Updates: https://support.office.com/en-us/article/install-office-updates-2ab296f3-7f03-43a2-8e50-46de917611c5

1. Uninstall office 365

2. Install again office 365

3. "Setup account" - what is this?

4. "Import pst" - copy updated outlook.pst from "old" to "new" and import it in outlook - right?

You convinced me not to have a local data file, and have everything in the cloud. Right now my "old" computer has outlook data file. Does copying outlook.pst is the right process to get there?

Set up account means you configure your account with your mail address and password?? Your pst file should still be where you put it yesterday! Just import it from outlook after you set up the account

Adam

Result: not good.

1. I uninstalled office365

2. I rebooted

3. I installed office 365

4. I opened outlook to setup accounts but: gmail1 was already there, I still couldn't add gmail2 (same symptom of yesterday, repeated requests to enter password).

5. I tried importing outlook.pst - the message was that it was already in use (clearly uninstall doesn't delete everything, and I want to start from scratch!)

6. emails seems OK

7. Contacts and Calendar display two options, one seems OK (means have contacts and calendar items), but the the second is "This computer only". when I "dock the peek" of calendar - it is empty, as if it is presenting the "this computer only" calendar. For this reason, I am afraid to try synching my mobile with this outlook.

Would you please explain points 4+5 - what is kept from previous installations?

And point 7 - how do I get rid of "This computer only" Contacts and Calendar?