SOLVED

how to move my outlook.pst file from old computer to a new one

Brass Contributor

I have office 365 license.

I used office on "old" computer, where I have outlook.pst file.

I am still using office on "another" laptop, for random word, excel and PowerPoint edits.

Now I bought a new pc at home, "new", and want to move outlook.pst file from "old" to "new".

But I can't find where is outlook.pst file - where is it?

When I installed from office 365, I had only an option to synch all devices - but i do not wish to use a cloud, i do not wish to rely on network. I will use outlook only from "new".

Where should I put my "old" outlook.pst file in the "new" computer?

41 Replies

Thanks Adam for your reply.

In my "old" computer I have 3 files:

Outlook Data File (local kept files)

gmail1

gmail2

I would like to maintain this separation. Should I export to 3 files?

And how would I then import?

Why just copying outlook.pst one file will not work?

May I ask why you need to export the PST’s? both Gmail and Outlook is cloud services and all the mails , calendar and contacts should be in the cloud! just configure the same accounts on the new computer and the content should be visible! Pst is good when you want to copy content to another mail account or if you have archived old mail as backup! If you don’t have this, you should be fine!

Adam

Google is could based for sure.

But I want to use outlook also offline, when network is down.

In my "old" computer this is how I worked. I also synch my mobile contacts and calendar with outlook.

Would you suggest a different way to manage my emails?

Yes, but when you set up your account on the new computer those mails will be downloaded and stored locally as well! So no need to copy them over from the old machine!

Your mobile device connects to the outlook servers and nothing above will change that !

Cheers Adam

I am not sure I understand how it works.

Right now, in my "old" computer, I do have outlook.pst, and I want to keep all the tons of info I have there. It is not in the cloud, it is on my computer.

How will my "new" computer see it?

Okay :) in this case you have archived mails to local pst’s

Find the pst’s with the help of this:

https://www.howtogeek.com/howto/21384/where-is-my-pst-file-and-how-can-i-move-it-somewhere-else/amp/

Then follow the guides I sent earlier!

Adam

I've read the link you provided. I would like to verify:

1. I change the registry values in the new computer

2. I copy outlook.pst from "old" computer to the "new" computer in the new location. He explains a simple copy.

Is that right?

So when should I export/import as you suggested?

What registry edit are you referring to?

Just use the Microsoft documentation I sent you to import / export
Sorry :) no need for exporting because they are already pst’s! Just find them and copy them over and put them whereever on the new computer! Use the import from outlook!

the articel https://www.howtogeek.com/howto/21384/where-is-my-pst-file-and-how-can-i-move-it-somewhere-else/amp/ is explaining how to change registry.

Now I understand you only meant I should use the info how to find the files (which I do).

Now I have 3 files: one pst and two ost.

Should I export each one separately to 3 different files, and then import them separately, to 3 different files? where should be the location when I import?

OK:

1. Copy

2. Import 3 times

Outlook will "understand" where to find the IMAP servers?

The ost you don’t need! They are just offline copy’s of the cloud content! Copy the pst! Import on new computer! Where you store it doesn’t matter! Somewhere on Your hard drive or just copy it to the default location found in the links!
Before you do this you need to configure your mail account in outlook on the new computer! After that no connections are made on the pst! These are offline files only
If you have used IMAP the mails should be left on the server! Do you use IMAP for your office 365 account also??

"Before you do this you need to configure your mail account in outlook on the new computer" - do you mean adding the 2 gmail accounts?

Now it starts to clear up: just one import make much sense...

To receive mails on the new computer , corresponding accounts needs to be setup :)

IMAP for the 2 gmail accounts, but I gave the rule to delete the email after downloading to outlook, so they do not exist in the cloud, only in the outlook.pst.

I didn't define office365 in the "new" computer as IMAP. But I got confused because after installing outlook365 in the new computer i didn't have any outlook.pst file. This was my first question in this thread. seems like office365 didn't open any outlook.pst, and most likely created it as IMAP.

BUT I have precious info in outlook.pst which is not in any cloud.

right, on both sides, thanks for reminding me

Office 365 uses the exchange protocol and no pst are created! The pst you have us all local and must be manually transferred

I suspect you those other files also includes the gmail content! It’s not as easy with OST files as with pst files though!

I would also suggest to give Microsoft a call and get som guidance during setup!!

Adam
1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by efratnakash (Brass Contributor)
Solution
Install again! Setup account! Import pst like link said from yesterday! It won’t remember the pst file!

Updates: https://support.office.com/en-us/article/install-office-updates-2ab296f3-7f03-43a2-8e50-46de917611c5

View solution in original post