How to manage users in Office 365 DL's

Brass Contributor

Hi guys

i'm new to O365 and about migrating our environment to O365, that is including Exchange. We have an Exchange 2010 On-Prem and we had some Distributiongroups configured there.

Am i able to handle the members of the new O365 Distributiongroups with a local DL Group? As we configure the users by Powershell to the needed Groups, i would need to have a way to configure the members of a O365 DL from the local AD.

Many thanks for your feedback.

Best rea

2 Replies
If you are talking about new "Office 365 Groups" and not DL groups, the answer is not by default. You can setup group writeback but that requires a Azure AD P1 license for all your users in those groups to be able to use that feature. Honestly it's pretty complicated to get all going. I prefer to just manage Office 365 Groups in the cloud.

If you are actually talking about Distribution lists, then all you ahve to do is make sure your DL's from onprem are in an OU that is syncing to 365 and the users / contacts contained in those groups. Then any edits you make on-prem get synced to 365.

Hi Chris

many thanks for your feedback. I think i will go then with RemotePowershell to fill up the users in the DL's. I think you would go with Office 365 DL's instead of the "old" DL's from On-Prem, right?

Many thanks for your feedback.

Best regards,
Marc