How to link an Office 365 mailbox?

Iron Contributor

Hi,

I will need to re-create a user account in AD with the same user name/email address. I want the new account can still be linked to the user's old mailbox with email, OneDrive, OneNote, etc. 

Please advise if it is possible and how to approach it!

Thanks in advance!

4 Replies

What happened to the old account, is it still available/active and linked to the mailbox? In general you can use the method here: https://www.michev.info/Blog/Post/1486/how-to-assign-mailbox-to-a-different-user-with-exchange-onlin...

But depending on the scenario, there might be an easier method.

Hi Vasil,

Thank you for your reply. The old account is still active and available. The use is still using it. The problem is a user credential prompt keeps popping up. This problem started to happen since the user has been moved from one department to another. The login prompt is trying to log into the old department's recourse, but I am not sure what it is. maybe network shared folder/sharepoint site/mailbox or anything. We have tried to replaced the user's computer, but problem still persists. so it seems it's related to user account not computer. So I want to re-create the user's AD account, but keep her Office 365 mailbox.

Thanks,

@Vasil Michev 

Hi Vasil, 

One more question. If I map the user's new account to the user's old mailbox, will the OneDrive/OneNote shared by other people be restored?

Many thanks! 

@Vasil Michev 

Nope, you will have to redo all sharing/permissioning.