How to force regeneration of Exchange Online Offline Address book?

Iron Contributor

I have just added a large number of new users to my Office 365 tenant, and want to be able to have users download a current Address Book to their Outlook 365 clients?   Is there a way I can do this through the Office 365 Admin Portal, or is this something that I need to trigger via PowerShell?

3 Replies
If I recall correctly it’s possible to force a sync via PowerShell! I think you need correct permissions for the user executing the command,

They should be available immediately using the Online GAL but as far as I'm aware the offline address book is processed by Outlook every 24 hours as a local download

Happy to be corrected though. I know you can force Outlook to do a offline address book refresh but that command would be aimed more toward the local client then in 365

Yes, it is 24 hours based on my experience (if i change name or add someone updates usually appear in Outlook and Skype (as it uses OAB) next day). I'm not aware of a way to force OAB update on the clients from Admin Center or PowerShell. I think this is a client-side only function.