How to enable Profile information from Office 365 when syncing Onsite Active Directory

Deleted
Not applicable

Hi, we have moved to Office 365 and SharePoint online. I'm creating some PowerApps and one of the connectors is the Office365Users which allows you to connect to Profile data. However, as we sync Active Directory there are many things that you can't update around a user's profile. For example if a user changes jobs we can't update the Job Title from Delve, nor can we see Department or Reports To information. Is there a way to add this to Delve? We outsource our Network management and presently to change something like a Job Title or Department we need them to do it in Active Directory. Is there a way around this? Can you add Profile data to Delve, then pull it from there using an PowerApp connector? We only sync AD, that is, we do not have an on-prem Exchange Server, all our email is handled by Office 365. Our organization deals is bound by HIPAA rules and so two way syncing raises some concerns. As we're using Office 365 and not syncing Exchange, it would be nice to find a way to update Job and Department via Delve or via Office 365 Admin. Thank you!   

7 Replies
I'm moving your question to the Office 365 space for better visibility.
You can write in the SPO user profiles using SPO REST API but the question here is if this is really what you want to do...I'm asking here because bearing in mind the local AD is your source of authority in regards of user identities, It's quite natural to update user properties there and sync to Office 365

Hi John,

Unfortunately there isn't a way around this. Azure AD Connect syncs the following attributes from your AD to Azure AD

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/active-directory/hybrid/reference-connect-sync-attributes-syn...

With Azure AD Connect your AD, not Office 365 is used to manage identities. Was there any reason you had your local AD synchronised? Do you still have things like local file servers or applications on premise connecting to your local domain? If you want to self manage the user identities and attributes such as job title and department then you would need to remove Azure AD Connect and then, as cloud users (as opposed to synchronised users), you would manage the attributes through Office 365 admin centre or Azure AD.

However, I do want to add a caveat here is that it is largely dependent on your situation - if you still want single sign on between office 365 and your local applications which connect to AD then you would continue as you are and potentially look to self manage changes on the local AD.

Hope that answers your question! If it has, please like and set as the solution. If not, happy to answer any further questions you have on it. Thanks for raising this to the community.

Best, Chris

Check into hyperfish. It’s greAt for profile updates and photo updates to your onprem and it syncs and also updates 365 locations directly for photos etc.

Thanks, I just started using PowerApps and it relies on a lot of data in the profile, our AD team doesn't quite keep all that updated or is slow to get it updated! Missing pieces are Job Title, Department, Reports To, and a few other data points in the graph that I'd like to pull from. I thought of using a SP list but just thought if we could update Job Title, Department, and maybe Reports To, it would be nice! 

Thanks